The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Would agree with Lalo > Gus. That was a special performance by Tony Dalton.

Gus was always too measured and deliberate. A truly good villain has to have that little bit of sociopath in them and Lalo had that.

1 Like

Gus definitely had that edge. When he slit Victorā€™s throat for mixing the meth instead of Jesse for example.

1 Like

These streaming services refuse to let me cancel. I tried to cancel Hulu again and they gave me 6 more months at 60% off.

Will see if max lets me cancel in a few days.

His ā€œfinalā€ scene :flushed::flushed::flushed:

Something about him straightening his tie as he steps out into public view chills me.

Itā€™s an action so deliberately calm that it makes the audience think heā€™s somehow okay. Then the shot moves to reveal the other side of his bodyā€¦

I think though that given the actorā€™s age in the prequel and the plot armor, BCS took a little bit away from the Gus mystique. Also Lalo completely out-maneuvered him and had him dead to rights in the last season, Gus killed Lalo by uh kicking an extension cord to shut off the lights in the underground meth lab, dodging/eating (via bulletproof vest) half a dozen of Laloā€™s bullets and then getting a kill shot in the dark. That was a disappointing climax.

1 Like

When I cancelled Hulu a couple of months ago, I already had the subscription for at least 6 months at a reduced rate, even though I barely watched it. I guess they didnā€™t want me enough to offer an extension on the price break.

I have the 1.99 for a year for Hulu black friday thing, I never turn it on. Is Bear the main good thing on it this year?

Iā€™ve been getting Hulu for either $0.99 or $1.99 a month for the last three years with their Black Friday deal. Iā€™ve had to use a different e-mail each time, though, and have had to use a different credit card at least once (donā€™t remember if I was able to revert back to a previous card this last time).

Then I was able to add Disney+ for $2 or $3 extra per month.

1 Like

the bear
what we do in the shadows
solar opposites
futurama

3 Likes

New Futurama is pretty great.

1 Like

Hulu also has old shows i enjoy rewatching like

Broad City
Workaholics
Itā€™s Always Sunny (except for the banned episodes)

Probably some others Iā€™m forgetting too

3 Likes

also on Hulu:
current show:
Single Drunk Female

old show:
Youā€™re the Worst

2 Likes

Iā€™ll add:

Fleischman is in Trouble

Future Man

Justified (old series and new season)

2 Likes

Second Youre the Worst if you havent seen it yet. About 60 half hour episodes. Pretty quick watch with some spectacular acting.

1 Like

omg futureman YES

1 Like

Definitely doesnā€™t get enough love

Would also add

The Patient (must see!!! but very disturbing)
Reservoir Dogs
Atlanta
Into the Dark: Pure (2019) | anthology series
Prey
The Dropout
The Act
Under the Banner of Heaven
Stolen Youth
Cruel Summer (limited series 1 GOAT, unfortunately not into s2 but itā€™s still acclaimed)

2 Likes

A couple posts above got me thinking about ranking shows in terms of re-watchability (not GOAT).

Hereā€™s my personal top 5.

1. Curb. The greatest comedy show ever. Can watch over and over and the hilarity never abates.

2. Friends. No, itā€™s not the greatest comedy ever. But itā€™s the ultimate TV comfort food. A group of Friends who are always there for you, bringing you back to a simpler, happier time. An episode before bedtime has been my standard routine for years.

3. Mad Men. Another one I can watch over and over for the impeccable re-creation of period, mood, and character study.

4. Americans. Another one I enjoy revisiting. Underrated show IMO.

5. Wire/BB. Havenā€™t re-watched these yet, but I anticipate Iā€™ll enjoy them as much as I did during the first watch when I do.

Who you got?

4 Likes

Seinfeld, first eight seasons of The Office, first nine seasons of The Simpsons.

I mean Iā€™ve fully rewatched BB and Mad Men and both were great experiences, but for pure rewatchability I have to go with these comedies where I could truly let random.org drop me in wherever and Iā€™m immediately mentally locating my favorite moment(s) of the episode and looking forward to seeing them come up. I basically feel like I do get that experience when Iā€™m in a hotel and my only option is regular TV and I see one of those shows in some sort of marathon on Comedy Central or FX. Rewatching a whole long-term dramatic saga is just a different thing.

4 Likes