The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Also loved Michael Scott’s initial reaction to seeing him.

1 Like

I’ll finish it out of respect (4 episodes into it), but I’m doubling back to watch Picard season 3, and while it’s the best Picard season so far, it is still such a fail, and I don’t know how to explain it, maybe Stewart’s age is the factor, but Picard here is such an emo, juiceless, witless, wisdomless shadow of one of the great sci-fi characters ever. Riker has a little juice, could have had fewer cupcakes over the last 20 years though.

Frakes is in his 70s and looking good imo. I thought S3 was spectacular. It was spoon fed fan service and some plot points were a bit silly imo but I still freakin loved it.

2 Likes

I’m liking Worf and the Crushers so far, Riker is good, but I can’t get over Picard, like he used to be a thoughtful measured cultured exploring warrior, now he’s just a schmaltzy moron, only there to elicit nostalgia from fans yet it fails because he is not the same character. I guess it gets better, I’ll stick with it.

Someone suggested Winning Time might be something I would enjoy, sorry whomever. Season 2 just dropped which made me think about starting to watch it, and I am a few episodes in and really enjoying it. It’s a bit farcical and a lot of winking and nodding but overall I am really enjoying it.

Plus I hate the Celtics just like this tv show hates the Celtics.

1 Like

That was me. The show plays fast and loose with the facts for sure, but this is one of the subject matters where it’s harder to be offended by historical inaccuracies.

1 Like

Unfortunately Winning Time S2 premiere might have been weaker than any S1 episode. I was pretty bored with it. Hopefully just an aberration.

1 Like

hmmblondmaybe

hmmblondeww

I’m 60 years old. I’d love to party with those super-MILFs.

1 Like

I mean yeah and I’m sure those of us who are old enough have fond memories of what we were doing and trying to get the ol’ stinkfinger back in the 80s but my ass a “who’s who of stars” :confounded:

2 Likes

I remember Naomi Watts being really hot in Mulholland Drive. Hard to believe that was over 20 years ago

If you want to see a BONKERS Naomi Watts movie, check out “Adore”. And then listen to the How Did This Get Made.

1 Like

Winning Time continues to deliver, though I still dislike Adrian Brody as Pat Riley. Also it’s enough already with the stupid old ass filters. I know it happened in the late 70s-early-80s I don’t need it to look like I’m watching it on my parents’ Curtis Mathis.

1 Like

I’m always hesitant to watch newish sports documentaries, since they’re always overproduced, with forced pathos, ham-fisted graphic flourishes, Chris Hanson-like voiceovers, and cliched period music.

1 Like

Eh, I generally feel the same, but I’d say it’s a stretch to call this one a “documentary.” It’s been bashed quite a bit by the real life dudes so I’m not sure how much inside the locker room we can trust. But the guys playing Magic, Kareem, Westhead, Hearn, Cookie and Norm are all great and this may be O’Reilly’s best thing ever.

That said, it’s just a gimmick that is not needed here to tell this story. We see the polyester and the hair!

Surprisingly good Naomi Watts movie is The Impossible (2012).

Based on a true story about María Belón and her family in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

That’s also Ewan McGregor and a baby Tom Holland in his film debut a year before his sorta breakout role in the horror movie How I Live Now (2013).

That one is about a teenager named Daisy (Saoirse Ronan from Lady Bird) and her cousins Eddie (George MacKay), Isaac (Tom Holland), and Piper (Harley Bird) as they try to reunite during an apocalyptic nuclear war.

Saoirse Ronan’s first role turns out to be in a movie I can’t get anyone to give a shot even though it’s directed by the same person who directed Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Clueless, European Vacation, and Look Who’s Talking.

This is one real life scene that was recreated in Winning Time and in the show they just completely made up the part where Kareem was a dick to the reporter trying to get an interview. Was a super standard postgame victory interview in real life. Not a huge thing to mess with, but they do just randomly insert some provably false shit along the way.

2 Likes

He got fouled big time!