The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Have you all previously talked about The Curious Case of Natalia Grace on Max?

Had heard a couple people mention it in rw and am binging it today. It’s a crazy story. Especially since the media most of us ever heard about it was way off.

1 Like

Takeshi’s Castle Japan e1

slippery rope wall was okay. hated the river stones. LOVED the surfboard challenge. tug of war with a coinflip to who you’re tugging against was good. excellent use of cute girls in bikinis. 5 bags of popcorn i didn’t understand a word of it

2 Likes

Strike impact on streamers and recorded content.

The philosophical debate may be the same everywhere, but the platforms vary significantly in terms of how much they have in the can – and, as a result, how much flexibility they have in being able to move or shelve fare. Netflix, which is believed to have the most, is said to be discussing whether to hold as many as five shows that have yet to be dated, according to an insider. Elsewhere, FX is sitting on completed seasons of Ryan Murphy’s Feud: Capote’s Women, which features a who’s who of stars including Naomi Watts, Demi Moore, Diane Lane, Calista Flockhart, Chloë Sevigny and Molly Ringwald, and the latest installment of Fargo, starring Jon Hamm. Neither has been publicly dated, and though both are returning franchises, they’ve been off the air for years. Plus, as one rival exec notes of the former, “Why bother casting all those stars to not have them do press?” (An insider snipes back: “Or you just market the hell out of the fact that you have all those stars.”)

Over at Apple TV+, decisions will ultimately be made about its cadre of star-driven shows, including Bad Monkey (Vince Vaughn) and Palm Royale (Kristen Wiig, Laura Dern), that are in the can. Meanwhile, Showtime has completed seasons of The Curse, starring Emma Stone, Nathan Fielder and Benny Safdie, as well as Matt Bomer and Jonathan Bailey’s Fellow Travelers, while Paramount+ has already wrapped production on its Frasier revival. Even smaller outlets like AMC+ will have decisions to make about when to air shows like Orphan Black: Echoes, starring Krysten Ritter.

1 Like

Season 4 of The Sopranos in the books. It’s a great show, obviously, but geez I hate every one of these despicable characters.

3 Likes

Episode 6 hijack.

I clearly missed something because I was like who the fuck is that

Are we getting a “BJ reviews every ep of Takeishi’s Castle” thread?

1 Like

I don’t think you missed anything, that’s the first time we’ve seen her in any significant way.

1 Like

First episode of the new How To season delivers, although I really wish we could see his footage from Burning Man

Every project green light makes the director look completely incompetent and every telling is verified by the final product.

1 Like

Finished Full Circle. I’d recommend it, especially if you like Söderberg’s other recent work. It also reminds me of some of the Cohen brothers’ darker stuff without the highly stylized dialogue.

1 Like

I finished this yesterday and must agree. It was excellent.

Soderbergh once said some incredibly hubristic shit like he was thinking of retiring from film because he’d mastered the art form, but it’s now fifteen years later and the movies he has made in “retirement” have ultimately proven him right. He makes amazing stuff.

I’ve started into Boardwalk Empire. In the second episode, there’s this scene that seems like a direct lift from The Remains of the Day? Asshole summons in his housekeeper and then asks her questions about international politics that he knows she won’t know the answer to so that he can degrade her by making her acknowledge in front of company that she doesn’t know anything about the subject. Very same thing was done to Anthony Hopkins in his butler role in The Remains of the Day.

Perhaps this is a more common trope than I’m aware of, but if not then it seemed weird to have been such an identical copycat scene.

1 Like

Dont they do something similar in Knives Out too?

1 Like

That one I haven’t seen, so I couldn’t speak to how similar it was.

I get that everyone steals from everyone and there are few truly original ideas left, but this was so close to being the exact same scene that it just hit weird.

Oh shit, you should put Knives Out and its sequel on your list. Great role for Daniel Craig and a couple of amazing ensemble casts

1 Like

I watched Glass Onion without having watched Knives Out since I was under the impression that one isn’t really a prereq for the other. And I’m always in anytime a group of actors swallows hard and accepts the apparently harsh condition of working with Edward Norton, since he remains one of my favorites.

I thought Glass Onion was decent.

3 Likes

no Ana de Armas, no beetle likey

1 Like

I refused to believe how insufferable Ed must be, but the tsunami of self ownage in his roast for Bruce Willis seems like a pretty good preview of what it would be like to work with him LMAO

Not to say I wouldn’t have infinite coffees with the guy if given a chance to listen to him spill his genius.

1 Like

I mean, Kevin Feige’s statement when they dumped Norton from the MCU remains a crazy thing to behold.

“The decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members,” he said.

"‘The Avengers’ demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts.

“We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfils these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.”

Essentially, “We want to be clear: this is not because he was too expensive. It’s because he was an insufferable asshole. Enough of one to somehow stand out even in this industry full of them.” Real Sideshow Bob energy in that list of people who qualified to NOT be kicked out of the franchise.

I do absolutely love that Bruce Willis roast and have watched it many times.

2 Likes

Oh to have been on the set of American History X to witness the Norton/Kaye vibes.

Norton still one of my favorite actors. He was truly fantastic in American History X. I also think his performance in Birdman was beyond exceptional - his scenes with Emma Stone on the balcony/whatever were incredible imo.

2 Likes