The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

The second episode had more tension than just about any reality show I’ve seen that wasn’t survivor. I’m not a big fan of reality shows, but this one isn’t too bad.

I was trying to think why I liked it more than most reality shows and I think it’s because American reality shows are ironically over produced. I’m sure they’re have some big production events coming up but the entire second episode is everyone basically playing capture the flag in the forest. No challenges of leaping over fire or some shit, no cut aways to talk about someone’s personal feelings or drama.

Team Soldier for me and the one firefighter who’s small but has a voice like a man who smokes 10 packs a day.

Yeah that Seagal comment is crazy talk. Bloodsport, Double Impact, Time Cop, yes please. I do love me some Under Siege though

1 Like

Just finished Diplomat.

Not impressed with the ending.

Ya series cliffhangers are so dumb.

Double Team still my favorite Van Damme, but Street Fighter and Knockoff are up there. Dude’s movies always have enough genuinely great bits to make them fun ironic rewatches. Street Fighter has a couple of amazing visual gags.

2 Likes

https://i.redd.it/lifjv0q5do4b1.jpg

2 Likes

My man Raul Julia completely checks out of the boring hero speech scene, changes out of work clothes into leisure wear (and a leisure hat?!?), makes ridiculous drinks, and then checks back in with a perfect cartoon supervillain line. The guys making this movie knew what they were doing.

3 Likes

The How Did This Get Made on Street Fighter is a classic.

4 Likes

iirc Julia was already terminal when he was making that movie :(

2 Likes

He felt the role would bring him closer to his children :heart:

A stunning Saturn nominated performance. I’d argue if the movie had somehow captured the essence of what it was like to actually play the video game, this would be more than a cult classic we know isn’t very good.

2 Likes

Dammit!

https://twitter.com/waystarroyhoe/status/1666541557544017920?t=5Pxt1VcT9-AFGMyfcEMDsw&s=19

4 Likes

That reminds me of the He-Man movie, Frank Langella’s kid was a big fan of He-Man, so he insisted on getting the part. Then he threw everything into it, this very distinguished actor, he ever helped write the part. It’s completely mental, some of the most ridiculous shit that’s ever been filmed, I love it.

4 Likes

JCVD’s top two are Kickboxer and Bloodsport. There can be no debate.

4 Likes

I’m a Hard Target man myself

1 Like

Knockoff is so good because it can be enjoyed both ironically (most ridiculous plot ever, jcvd coked out of his mind getting his ass slapped with an eel while in a rickshaw race) and unironically (tsui hark the goat action director going full experimental mode)
i guess the same can be said for van damme himself, he’s legitimately an all-time great action star all the while being systematically ridiculously/comedically over the top (might be self aware now but definitely wasn’t in his drug days)

really cool end credits song too

1 Like

I forgot how out there this movie was. Trolly delivering some deep cuts for the NBA fans.

1 Like

Like Segal, JCvD just never had the charisma to carry a movie like Arnold could do. The fun Jean Claude movies are where he’s paired up some incredible actor like Raul Julia or some wild director like Tsui Hark.

I don’t even think Rodman is the weirdest element of Double Team. Oh man what was even going on with that ending.

I thought he was really good in TimeCop

2 Likes

Haven’t seen Timecop, tbh.

1 Like