The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

:harold:

1 Like

Great post

2 Likes

1 Like

I was way too late to get on the Succession bandwagon.

What’s the next/current hot show that everyone is/will be watching?

I’m interested in this question too. I haven’t heard much buzz about anything new, and I have heard a lot of talk about production schedules getting messed up by the writers strike and other industry upheaval…

The new HBO Sunday night show is something called The Idol. Created by The Weeknd and Sam Levinson (who also runs Euphoria), it’s apparently about a pop star who gets sucked into a Nexium-type cult. The early reviews have been bad, but I like Euphoria, so I’ll probably give it a chance.

loool

1 Like

Wondering if there’s potential for an increase in popularity in non-US shows because of this.

Euphoria had/has some of the same thematic issues.

1 Like

Watch the show and then search this thread by date to join the discussion.

I often think that Zendaya is one of the only things making Euphoria watchable to me, so I can easily see how even a small reduction in quality in the lead actor spot could produce a show that is completely unhinged. Also, it’s not like collaborating with The Weeknd would make Levinson LESS toxic.

1 Like

Yeah on Euphoria there were definitely times where it was like “uh, this does not seem ok for me to be watching”. Like you definitely got the sense that somebody was really enjoying the sickness.

thought the show was great but often felt the opposite. her refusal to do any nudity in the context of all the other insanity, was wildly distracting at times.

2 Likes

Killing the HBO brand pays pretty well

1 Like

Interesting. The lack of nudity has never bothered me when it comes to her performance, but I have bumped on that issue in some other shows, so I’m not sure why it doesn’t jump out to me in Euphoria.

1 Like

Euphoria was a very uncomfortable watch. I definitely remember that it felt like they were romanticizing unhealthy stuff for young women.

why are shareholders giving these people this much money? put it this way, if one of these guys died tomorrow, does the stock crash? no of course not because the next 100 guys in line can probably do just as good or bad of a job as they have done.

3 Likes

The headline answer is because markets are broken and shareholders arent protected by regulation. The econ 101 understanding of companies as profit maximising entities is fundamentally wrong.

Why these assholes rather than the assholes in charge of other companies? I’m guessing the stock pumped over the last 5 years due to all the streaming money’s, and their comp will have a lot of stock options.

This is truly insane.

They’re all 0 VORP. In the case of Zaslav, like tens of billions of market cap of negative VORP. It’s fucking nuts.

Of course the real answer is the boards are captive scumbags.

Good points.

Zendaya truly is amazing.

I watched season one for vicarious reasons for Jules (Hunter Schafer), but the reasons those parallels resonated with me were why I watched season one on repeat but hesitated for something like a year to watch season 2.

By then, I’d internalized why the arc of trauma for Jules resonated with me so deeply, but I was terrified to see what new torture they’d put Jules through.

And that was AFTER the incredible two mid season episodes focused respectively on Zendaya and Hunter’s characters.

The one with Zendaya is a must see for current or recovering addicts.

What I miss about drugs is the beauty. Knowing everything was gonna be all right.

And then the one with Hunter is all of the heart with none of the sexual assault of season one. She faces genuine conflicts and questions people with trans medical backgrounds face.

Filming over the pandemic limited the cast and production such that the scenes had to live and die on the dialogue.

That scene with Hunter features former Daily Show correspondent Lauren Weedman as her therapist.

I can’t wait to see Hunter’s performance in the upcoming Hunger Games prequel!!!

1 Like