The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

1st episode was elite I’m hooked. These bozos should opt out of wearing the suit though, the illuminati is probably just poisoning the suit air supply or something

1 Like

Ohhhhhh shi

I think I’m pot committed to reading the first book and I’ll just savor the switches and chambered reveals.

1 Like

Recently finished S2 of two different shows.

Only Murders In The Building had a great S2 finale, but there was a lot of dumb shit to get to that point. There were still funny parts of course, but everything from about episodes 4 through 9 were a major letdown compared to the first season.

I liked S2 of The White Lotus better than S1, but two things bugged me about the finale.

1. Whatever Harper and Cameron did. This made no sense at all for Harper’s character. I know multiple women whose personalities match up pretty well with Harper. People like that despise the Camerons of the world and would be repulsed at even the hint of something romantic/sexual with them.

2. The part where Albie and Portia reunite and Albie asks where Tanya is. Portia says she’s not answering her phone. So then Albie says “Hey, did you hear some guest died? And some of the people on the yacht too?” What the fuck was that?

Everything else was great and I’ll be watching S3 as it airs.

1 Like

#1 is part of the many reasons I think that Aubrey Plaza and finance bro didn’t actually bang. However, that seems to be the minority opinion.

3 Likes

“High Desert” on Apple TV is bad.

But I’ve got it on in the background while I work out and during episode two they play an extremely strange cover of “Farewell Transmission” by Magnolia Electric Co / Songs Ohia, which is really blowing my mind. An obscure song by and obscure (and now dead) artist that I spent a good amount of time listening to over and over.

1 Like

Weird!

How’s the cover??

It was strange. And it’s a strange song to begin with.

This show is interestingly bad. Good cast, but I don’t think anyone knows what they’re supposed to be doing. I don’t think the writers know what’s going on. I certainly don’t. And there’s a facet of it that feels like it’s trying to rip off / emulate “Poker Face”.

1 Like

Coming back to this comment late. Re Raplhie in Sopranos.

the episodes after Ralphie’s son has his arrow accident and with Christopher’s intervention. They really play with the idea that these guys are so broken they can only experience empathy under very limited circumstances and where it’s really similar to them.

first one is Raphie finally feeling empathy for Ro losing Jackie Jr. Like it literally took his own son nearly dying to feel bad for her. Then in the intervention. Tony: “you killed the dog?” “I know what it’s like to lose a pet”

coming back to ralphie. They do have him experiencing empathy and emotion. But it’s very fucking limited.

1 Like

My problem is that its limited to a singular instance in his death episode. It feels likr an attempt to be incredibly manipulative so that there are some stakes going into the fight. They need Tony to be a bad guy for doing what he does and if Ralphie is just an extreme piece of shit in every episode he is in, nobody would think Tony did a bad thing. So they give him 15 minutes of empathy and thats supposed to do the trick?

Compare it to Adrianas death, an actual sympathetic (yet still flawed) character. Her death officially signs the worst person ever contract for three people in the show. There is no longer an option for redemeption for Chris, Tony, or Sil after that (though they try hard for all three early in season 6 which I find interesting)

2 Likes

Man Hulu has some great stuff. Finally got around to watching The Bear, Fleishman is in Trouble, and Future Man. Loved them all. Can’t wait for season 2 of The Bear.

1 Like

Just a note. Hulu has a deal in celebration of national streaming day $2 for 3 months each. (Can add Disney plus for 2. More I think). Until 5/27/23

All the streaming services I don’t pay full price for. I just wait for deals. Right now have deals on Netflix, paramount plus, Hulu, hbo max and peacock. But my hbomax deal ending after six months. Just finishing up House of the Dragon right now.

Also season 2 of The Bear comes out June 22nd.

1 Like

I think season 4 is great.

Sopranos

things to love. Carmela Furio. Ralphie only discovering empathy after his own son is hurt. Ralphie death scene. Paulie and his mother. Paulie and Johny Sack. Paulie finding out carmine doesnt know who the fuck he is. Christopers descent into addiction. The intervention being a GOAT scene. What dont you like?

Tony at the Mercedes Dealership. He already heard from Carmela. So he was digging. Doesnt seem so unreasonable. And he would have kept asking until he got the details

ralphie’s son out of nowhere. I think the point is hes a shitty absentee father. He was in the bath telling the maid to fuck off when his son was hurt. His grief is super exaggerated because its finally about him. That’s the point they are making about empathy, how selfish these guys are. And they play with that eith Paulie and his mum vs him killing the old lady and with Tony and Pie oh my.

also. Goat Sil line. "Does Raphie have issues with women? Well. He did beat one to death for… I dont know what.

1 Like

Sopranos season 4.

i read it differently. We arent supposed to be sympathetic to Ralphie experiencing pain. Instead we are Tony looking at Ralphie with a “wtf” expression when Ralphie is OTT crying in his office. Its ludicrous coming from Ralphie and it’s used to highlight the psychopathy of the other characters emotions as well.

in fact. As I think about it. Ralphie generally plays that role. The message is “yeah, so you hate this guy. The other characters are the same. Dont you dare forget they are horrible too”

1 Like

I watched the trailer the other day. Worked out well that I waited so long on it cuz now I get a quick turnaround on S2

https://twitter.com/ITYSL_memes/status/1659910642399051777?t=8niNhvIRKJlaHX9Z5TF1Ew&s=19

2 Likes

I think Carmine did know who Paulie was (despite his disdain for the Soprano’s “crew” he seemed to know quite a bit about them and we do see him and Paulie together in other scenes), he just decided to act like he didn’t because Paulie was insignificant and it was out of line for him to approach a boss of another family like that at a public gathering. It would also be smart in case Paulie were somehow wearing a wire.

1 Like

Perhaps. But either way. Paulie realised that Johnny Sachs was playing him. I really enjoy the long slow build of New York and John being a threat. It’s what, at least 3 seasons for the full arc?

1 Like

Finished House of the Dragon. Enjoyed it. Definitely scratches that Game of Thrones itch.

1 Like