The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

:vince:

8 Likes

interesting that it took this long to come out, pretty sure season 2 starts in a month or two

I think that the show is trying to show us that Connor has figured out Logan’s game and that he, unlike the other three kids, has learned that the safest thing to do is not to play. Because he can’t win and he’ll only get hurt by trying. Connor isn’t different from the other kids, he’s the future of the other kids.

That’s a lot of insight for someone who is portrayed as kind of a schmuck.

wrt to Connor

1. Here’s never shown interest in running the business. From what we can tell, he does seem a little more out there than the other three.

2. More importantly, I think Logan felt closer to the other three since he had a longer/more serious relationship with their mother. We’ve seen her in many episodes. All we know about Connor’s mom was that she was sent to a psych ward[/spoiler]

Who’s doing the portraying? Logan and the other three kids.

Umm, the writers. I don’t think Logan and the kids have anything to do with him being super concerned and excited about his 1% in the polls.

1 Like

Connor is conflict averse and plays the stereotypical trust fund kid role. His personality would never have an interest in running the business nor would anyone want him to. I think it’s as simple as that. You might be thinking “but he wants to be president of an entire country” but it’s clear he just thinks of it as a job where he can unilaterally do stuff, in reality he would hate it.

2 Likes

We should really be using spoilers. People itt are just starting the show!

The conner president storyline is clearly a comment on trump, other vanity candidates and the overall debasement of the presidency in the last 30 years.

3 Likes

Spoiler tags for specific plot points seems fine, especially for new episodes. Spoilering discussion of general themes seems excessive. Someone just starting a watch may want to participate and can even offer a unique perspective.

Think it’s more a comment on the delusion of genius that failkids of mega billionaires often have. Connor thinks he’s special because he was born rich, and the show has implied that he was more neglected than the other three growing up. Libertarian presidential candidate is the perfect expression of that - its the type of politics that rich dumb smarts gravitate towards since it’s mildly subversive/“cracked the code” while also being rationalization of their wealth at the same time and president is the most childish of aspirations.

He also did raise his hand at one point for CEO or something and Logan basically laughed in his face (cant remember exactly when).

His backstory to me is probably that he was the first born and a huge disappointment to a terrible father so he went off the rails and never came back into the fold. There’s probably some trauma as well which has him as a perpetual 20 year old.

3 Likes

Making me want to give Succession another try.

Maybe the seventh attempt will give me something to connect with beyond chuckling voyeurism. You certainly see a lot. If only I had your commentary during each episode :sob:

This season has given us several moments where it seems that in his heart of hearts, Connor knows who he actually is.

2 Likes

Dead Ringers is … a lot

i actually like his older stuff and didn’t like this one at all. I didn’t really find him honest and humble. And making it about his journey without discussing leaving his wife and having a kid (being childfree and his wife were both huge parts of his routine before) was kinda disappointing for that type of show.

Don’t want to say I’m not enjoying S2 of Only Murders in the Building, but it’s definitely a step down from S1 and the part where they discover those passageways that no one knows about is distractingly stupid.

No one else noticed how hollow some of the walls were? Mabel never found this in her Hardy Boys adventures or when her apartment was being renovated?

It is so strange that there’s a second dramatization of the Candy Montgomery story. I think probably both shows were pretty far along when they found out about each other, and neither Hulu nor HBO Max (Max lol) could say “no” to the respective teams on each.

I hope it ends up in cousin Greg’s hands. That would be perfect.

slow horses season 2 rocked. gary oldman is filthier than ever, i don’t remember him being so dirty in s1. overall i liked it a lot more than the first season and i really liked the first season.

5 bags of popcorn

3 Likes