The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Re: Betty Gilpin. If y’all haven’t seen GLOW, you’re missing out.

Also, Diplomat confirmed as a great binge watch. I started ep 1 yesterday, am currently on episode 6.

2 Likes

I hate cliffhangers.

GLOW season 1 was amazing. season 2 ehhhhh

1 Like

Anyone watch Jury Duty on Freevee? Very much a Joe Schmoe type show, where it is a fake reality show with one unwitting participant, and includes James Marsden as himself.

1 Like

Loved every episode. Amazing finale. Haven’t laughed that hard since Bad Trip.

1 Like

Now it’s making sense why Jury Duty was so funny.

The two creators were previously writers for The Office.

Executive producer is the director of Zombieland.

1 Like

At first, I didn’t mind it. But now we’ve got defecation, we’ve got a lady named Jacquis… I’m in it.

1 Like

Didn’t love that succession episode. Felt like filler.

1 Like

Definitely not as consequential as some of the previous episodes, but I enjoyed the culture clash and the excuse for the writers to unload on the Swedes.

Semi spoilers for future eps based on some podcasts I’ve heard

Each remaining episode is basically covering a day with few if any time jumps between episodes. So, we’ll almost certainly have a funeral episode, and the series should wrap on election night, so they had to shift the focus to ATN/politics stuff, and I think this episode set up that pivot well

Last Succession episode was a miss for me as well.

https://twitter.com/TheRichardLewis/status/1650299772400701440

1 Like

Damn.

Well it was a good run.

Every show eventually keeps going past it’s expiration date.

Is it time for Succession to end?

I believe this is the last season. Last night’s episode was fine. There just weren’t massive bombshells thrown. Not every episode is going to be a 10/10.

2 Likes

Anyone watching Barry? New season is off to a strong start, and last night’s episode had some fun cameos

Also I think it’s a testament to the writing on the show that they can literally have characters say some of the show’s themes out loud, but be framed in such a way that it doesn’t come across as heavy-handed

Last night a new character told one of the main characters something like “just because you were abused doesn’t mean you can abuse us.” Abuse and its effects are one of the main themes of the show. After the episode my wife said something like “I don’t know what this show is supposed to be about.” Well one of the things it’s about is abuse, and the show just told us that.

This isn’t meant to be a criticism of my wife. She hasn’t been watching all of the episodes. But even if she had been, Hader does this trick of putting his characters in heightened roles, like being a successful actor or a hit man, so that you might just think “oh, this is some outlandish story in a crazy world.” But that’s just a device to show us some very clear examples of the way that abuse (and other emotional situations) affect all of us.

2 Likes

I think they are kidding. :grinning: (what pronoun do you use risky?)

1 Like

Haven’t seen a mention of Lucky Hank, Bob Odenkirk’s new show on AMC.

It’s…ok. Nothing bad about it at all. All the actors are great, dialogue is great, etc., it’s just not really all that interesting. I will say, though, that the latest episode definitely took it up a notch.

Basically, it’s about Hank, a professor at a middling college, being miserable with his place in life. Major daddy issues (won’t get into it further so as not to spoil anything). Others around him are miserable, too. No action, no real intrigue, just character study comedy/drama. As I said, the latest episode definitely elevated things.

Not a must-see, but not something you’ll be upset you watched, either.

2 Likes

Thatsthejoke.jpg

1 Like

One of the nagging frustrations of watching Succession has been the way it casts its protagonists as masters of the universe while failing to present much evidence of them being actually good at anything. They’ve held impressive titles and run corporations and political campaigns, but beyond taking meetings and boarding helicopters, it’s been tricky to pinpoint what they actually do.

But for this episode, at least, that absence turns out to be a feature rather than a bug.

Removed from both Logan’s shadow and the umbrella of his reputation, Kendall and Roman promptly shit the bed (figuratively, this time), exposing themselves as overconfident idiots who get shredded the moment they’re faced with a real competitor.

I never realized that theme was present until last night, but I’m on season 2 and there it was right in front of me.

I like watching Nordic people clown on Americans, especially asshole Americans.