The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Trying to sleep with Roman is difficult. Damn near impossible really.

+1. Itā€™s fine. I donā€™t get everyone drooling over it. Itā€™s no Wire/Sopranos/BB

3 Likes

Itā€™s not even White Lotus level.

Thereā€™s probably fifty shows that are better and a few of them arenā€™t worth watching imo.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about fifty, but I do have White Lotus ahead easily.

1 Like

Fifty in the prestige era or in the last three years?

I was referring to the latter. The former is not even close.

I can probably rattle off 50 in the last 20 years without thinking.

I was talking prestige era. Sounds like I watch less TV than you. Not sure Iā€™ve watched 50 drama series total in prestige era.

Please rattle off your list. Iā€™m always looking for shows to watch.

This could be a game changer. I jumped on the current trend months ago of turning on subtitles in every non-sports broadcast because invariably the dialog is 4/10, music is 9/10, and effects are 15/10 so I canā€™t hear shit anyone says anymore in most things

Writing. Acting. Arguably the best dialogue of any show besides maybe Mad Men imho.

2 Likes

More Sopranos S4 wtfness.

Who the fuck is Justin? Have we ever heard of Ralphieā€™s son prior to him showing up out of nowhere and taking an arrow to the knee?

Sopranos
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
The Shield
Lost
The Leftovers
The Wire
Better Call Saul
The Killing
Six Feet Under
Severance
Narcos
Trapped/Entrapped
Occupied
Station 11
Outer Range
Boardwalk Empire
Justified
Fargo
Downtown Abbey
BSG
The Jinx
Westworld (S1)
The Crown
Schittā€™s Creek
Mindhunter
Person of Interest
Homeland
Bordertown
White Lotus
Curb
The Sinner
Fauda
The Americans
Halt and Catch Fire
Black Mirror
Chernobyl
Bojack
Band of Brothers
Game of Thrones
Flight of the Conchords
True Detective
Silicon Valley
Hannibal
Friday Night Lights
Sherlock
Deadwood
Slow Horses
Veep
Unbelievable
Barry

And thatā€™s not even getting into all the one-off random documentaries, Ken Burnsā€™ Vietnam immediately leaps to mind, that Iā€™d rather watch 20 times before lolSuccession.

2 Likes

Of course there are also several pre-Sopranos shows, Twin Peaks GOAT, that are better than 75%+ of the list above.

And shows like Luck and Firefly and I could go on and on.

2 Likes

Not even dipping my toes in the pool here.

Thanks. Thatā€™s a good list. I was only counting dramas, since in my mental rankings, I put them in separate categories. Iā€™ve seen about half of above. Iā€™ll consider checking out some of the rest.

Iā€™m sure there are many many more. Iā€™m only counting series I am really familiar with. Most of those Iā€™ve seen multiple times through. Iā€™m not really a big tv head, either.

These Succession not that great posts are not that great imo

11 Likes

NMWā€™s list is definitely full of misses (Homeland? Schittā€™s Creek? Lost? ooook). Though admittedly there are more shows in the list that Iā€™d rank above Succession than I thought (downright embarrassing how many times Iā€™ve watched Bojack!). And a few shows I possibly need to check out!

Lost better than succession is a literally hysterical take.

4 Likes

I have zero memory of this show

1 Like

I donā€™t remember that either. Weird.

itā€™s basically dallas and santa barbara, with a bit more sex, drugs, and helicopters.

1 Like