The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

We just finished S1 last night too. First 6 episodes are mid to bad, but it turns into a very entertaining show around the time of the college episode.

1 Like

Yeah the college episode was definitely a nice season 1 standout.

1 Like

S1 the show is still finding its footing. One thing to remember is that even after S1 Chase was unsure they were going to get another season, so the writing decisions in subsequent seasons end up kind of retconning S1 a bit one they figured out they had a long term hit on their hands. S2 is where it really finds its footing.

“College” was my fave episode until I got to “Pine Barrens.”

Steve Buschemi helmed. Interesting. Had no idea he was directing at that time

They had a bunch of different directors over the years. Buschemi directed that one, and it was the only one he directed, then he joined the cast in S5 with a major role as Tony’s cousin.

Imperioli directed a few and wrote a few as well. Peter Bogdonavich directed a couple. Mike Figgis even directed one ep.

The pilot and the series finale are the only two that Chase himself directed.

1 Like

People were right about Tubi. I’m watching Carrie (1976), and I totally forgot John Travolta was in this.

3 Likes

Might be ready for a Sopranos rewatch before they remove it for a tax write off.

Inspired by the Tubi talk, I looked at the free movie app Popcorn Flix. About every 30th movie is legit. It’s full of generic 90s action movies starring Steven Seagal and JCVD.

The horror selection seems amazing. Shit like Little Dead Rotting Hood, Killer Sofa, and Butt Boy.

1 Like

Im sorry? Butt boy?

1 Like

Sounds incredible, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

welp

3 Likes

I feel like the trailer was too spoilery.

Who was your favorite character in S1?

Other ad-based platforms with awesome catalogs and original content:

Tubi
Pluto (includes free live TV with commercials like it never changed)
YouTube
Crackle
Roku
Vudu
Kanopy (needs a library card)
Curiosity Stream/Nebula (YouTube alternative by BreadTube; free for 1 week with library card)
Freeform
Freeverse

If you download the JustWatch app and customize your homepage with those platforms, you’ll feel like every day is Xmas looking through what’s new each day.

Sometimes it’s just a couple of dozen. Other times it’s hundreds. Don’t think it’s ever crossed 1k new titles a day, but it’s been close.

3 Likes

Hard to say as I would not consider a single one of them to be “likable.”

But the one I’m looking forward to seeing how they develop most moving forward is Christopher, as he seems to have at least some base level of complexity beyond simple mafia thug.

sopranos christopher getting healthy

5 Likes

Interesting. My favorite is by far Livia. Insane manipulative Italian mother. The acting is incredible and she regularly gets me laughing. What an awesome character

3 Likes

Started rewatching the Sopranos. Episode 1 open tests me with Melfi off the bat, but I am going to try to not skip her scenes.

I did appreciate Rockford Files playing in the nursing home, since Chase produced on that show.

pretty fun “one of these is not like the others” game in these screenshots

from movie thread

I’m not in the US so I can’t experience it but browsing Tubi seems like fun, finding hidden gems among piles of (hopefully enjoyable) trash lol

1 Like

I always wanted a tv channel that was just pilots of shows. Not even shows that made the air but any pilots. I would watch the crap out of that.

1 Like