The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

This is a hot take but Columbo is way better in the original Japanese. じゃ、あの。。。

https://twitter.com/jfrankensteiner/status/1459041114791501839?s=46&t=6KwCLZ-MgqFodL6jxLj6Nw

3 Likes

Wings, there’s a show I haven’t thought about in years. Watched the reruns all the time as a child.

2 Likes

OK I finished this and goddamnit it was good. Reviews are quite bad, and there are definitely a number of things that don’t make sense. If this was a big prestige thing with Nicole Kidman I might’ve enjoyed making fun of it, but as a lark that I stumbled on I really enjoyed it. Only four episodes. And if you can’t appreciate the work of Stanley Tucci, I feel sad for you.

watching it without subtitles is basically a hallucination, still not sure this is real

We welcome you to the first episode of AI or Not

1 Like

Did you watch it on the USA network? At least I think that’s where I first encountered rerun after rerun.

Early Thomas Haden Church role! As well as Kathy Griffin and Monk.

2 Likes

For me WINGS and COACH are my favorite second level sitcoms from that era. Just love them

1 Like

Feels like the two leads just never stop working

Sopranos. The one dude randomly shows up in Suits a few years ago. It’s always that “hey it’s that guy from wings”

1 Like

I think I watched on USA, I’m assuming it was a network sitcom originally though

Stephen King’s The Shining remake

1 Like

Originally NBC

That’s, um, not Kathy Griffin. Maybe you’re thinking of the sassy redhead on NewsRadio…who was also not Kathy Griffin. Or the sassy redhead on Suddenly Susan…who was Kathy Griffin.

3 Likes

More specifically, the NBC Must See TV Thursday night sitcom bloc. The top of the hour was anchored by strong shows: The Cosby Show and Cheers for much of the 80s and into the early 90s and later Friends and Seinfeld (and Frasier and Will & Grace). They were always looking for shows to premiere at the bottom of the hour and use the lead-in of the anchors to build an audience.

People like me remember the failures like The Single Guy, The Naked Truth, Veronica’s Closet, and (my favorite of the bunch) Caroline in the City.

Yeah, I watched too much bad television.

2 Likes

Picard s3 is outstanding week to week viewing appointments. Jonathan Frakes is so damn good as Riker.

You sure you’re not thinking of Martin Short??

3 Likes

I was a huge DS9 fan. I have my notes somewhere from Dragon Con '09 when I met the actors who played Sisko and his son Jake.

So for Picard to bring back Worf and probably the most defining component of the DS9 series arc the Dominion War with the Changelings gives Picard season 3 just enough of that Battlestar Galactica paranoia.

1 Like

Don’t sleep on Barney Miller

3 Likes

WKRP has not aged well in terms of social norms (lots of overt sexism in the workplace, for example) but the comedy absolutely stands the test of time. Some of the episodes are just insanely funny even now. The turkey drop episode remains one of the seminal “sit com” episodes of all time.

3 Likes

On Breaking Bad, toxic masculinity, and the purposeful placement of the rape scene nobody talks about.

2 Likes

Someone, I think it was you, said it was like TNG rather than new Trek. Is that right? I would check it out if so.

1 Like

Yes.

The complaints about Picard s1 and s2 are valid. It’s like they tried to make Star Trek without anyone or anything familiar for the audience except for occasional cameos. It just didn’t feel like TNG. But it was cool! I mean how can you not get into season 2 with the return of Q, a time travel story reminiscent of Star Trek III, and more WTF references to the movie Inception than you can count?

But Picard season 3 feels like pure Next Generation on steroids. It is everything I never knew I wanted from a TNG movie. Today’s episode immediately sent me back to watch First Contact, which despite RedLetterMedia’s fair enough points, I consider to be among the best of all Star Trek stories of all time.

Watch the TNG finale, then First Contact, then jump right into Picard season 3.

1 Like