The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

It’s so dumb. Just the worst possible picks. And man True Lies is a show where within a moment of a character opening their mouths you can hear how bad the show is. And these aren’t even bad actors!! Just not good shows.

The only reason Picard worked for two seasons was because of the cast. Patrick Stewart carried that damn thing on his elderly back until we got this new season of Next Generation.

2 Likes

I ordered the graphic novel, so I guess I’ll read that and come back smh

The Rorschach guy is the dark postmodern take on Batman. It’s basically a Batman vs. Superman situation except none of the superheroes are likeable.

I don’t really see the connection between Luther and Ozymandias. Yes, both are egomaniacal geniuses, but one is motivated by pure selfishness while the other is motivated by misguided altruism.

1 Like

Lex Luthor isn’t always totally selfish, a some level he probably legitimately thinks humans shouldn’t have this weird alien god/man ruling over the world and he’s saving us all.

This might be what I’m really trying to say. I’m sure that if I had watched it when it originally ran I would have loved it back then.

But having first watched Curb and then Seinfeld, Curb is just so much better in every way IMO.

Curb is different than Seinfeld. Curb is very heavy on cringe comedy, Seinfeld is often just mundane selfishness but not dialed up as high as Curb - often more silly than cringe.

At the same time Curb is more naturalistic, while Seinfeld is very much a 90s sitcom.

This. Sure from a script level maybe Curb is infinitely superior, but the experience of the two is like Apples and Oranges. Seinfeld is very much a 90s sitcom, which is why the writing was so subversive and compelling. At the time, the novelty alone made them the frontrunners and everyone for the near future just imitators.

Curb Your Enthusiasm, however, is shot in cinéma vérité mockumentary style. It feels a lot more like watching reality TV.

This discussion make me wonder: what 90s era or older laugh track TV comedies if any do stand up to the test of time? Like I loved Cheers back in the day but can’t imagine enjoying it today.

MASH maybe?

So to combine these two conversations together, the Seinfeld of superhero comics?

I need to re-watch News radio to see if it holds up

I think Cheers holds up nicely tbh, granted some of Sam Malone’s womanizing is a bit cringe today but otherwise I find Cheers still elite as sitcoms go. Same with the underrated Wings.

Watched cheers a few years ago. Still fun.

1 Like

Should add Frasier to this as well

2 Likes

There is a really solid amount of “it was a different time” stuff, as I recall.

was thinking this too, I loved News Radio 10+ years ago but haven’t seen an episode since then

Police Squad

1 Like

Frasier is also really fun.

2 Likes

Weird. I feel exactly the opposite. I think it holds up pretty well.

The Fresh Prince of Belair
Taxi
Married with Children
Boy Meets World
The Golden Girls
Wings
Gilligan’s Island
Happy Days
Spin City
Fawlty Towers
Mr. Bean
A Different World