The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I also watched Columbo s1e1 and enjoyed it. Hadn’t realized how much “poker face” was a direct homage to this, up to using the same font for the opening titles.

Also I think this was a piece of trivia I knew at some point but had forgotten about until the end title drop, no wonder it feels so competently made :

4 Likes

Was it itt or someplace else someone posted the S1E1 opening sequence and you could see it was not your run of the mill director shots.

2 Likes

I was thinking of the same post!!! An outstanding opener.

I did not find the post with the Spielberg opener but mosdef and LFS bringing the commentary :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

2 Likes

Does Poker Face have any obvious homages to The Fugitive? Will Charlie still be on the run in season 2?

Rian Johnson has been pretty open about the fact that he was deliberately trying to copy Columbo as closely as he could without getting sued.

1 Like

A couple of complete series I’ve watched lately:

Better Things–Starring Pam Adlon (Emmy-award winner who voiced Bobby Hill), in a semi-autobiographical series about being a fairly successful actor raising three daughters and her somewhat cognitively impaired British mother. I enjoyed it, although as the show progressed it seemed like every episode had to have some type emotional string plucking.

Mr. In-Between–An Aussie series about a seemingly sociopathic, part-time hitman who is also a loving, shared-custody parent of an elementary school-aged daughter. Lots of killing, although very little gore. Bonus aspect–the lead character’s boss is Damon Herriman, who played Dewey Crowe in Justified.

Three Pines–A short, Canadian series staring Alfred Molina as an emotionally fragile (and possibly autistic?) police detective investigating murders in a small, Quebec town. Gorgeous scenery and progressive portrayal of the plight of indigenous Canadians, but overly plodding. Final impression: “Meh.”

Yea but what about the best part of the episode - the ghetto blaster namedrop!

I’ve been meaning to watch this due learning one of her kids (Frankie) was written as gender fluid in order to represent what Pamela Adlon’s own kid went through.

In Season 1 of Better Things , Frankie is sent home from school for using the men’s room; Sam’s oldest daughter, Max, deflects her mother’s annoyance by telling her “Mom, Frankie is a boy.”

It might seem like Better Things is setting itself up to tell a cut-and-dried trans coming-out story, but the ensuing seasons are far more complex. In Season 3, we see Frankie referring to herself as “your brother, Francis” and bonding with a character played by nonbinary actor Ser Anzoategui. In Season 4, Sam walks in on Frankie making out with a boy; when Sam reminds Max of her “Mom, Frankie is a boy” statement, Max insists she never said that. The point the show seems to be making is that there is no fixed, permanent notion of Frankie’s gender identity or sexuality; rather, multiple things can be true at once.

During the Represent interview Adlon shared that Frankie is based on her own child:

“My middle daughter went through a phase where she was gender dysphoric. It was not tomboy — it was Target boys department corduroys, Polo shirts, braces, bifocals… She was just that. Now she looks at pictures and she’s pissed at me. She’s like, Mom why did you let me . I’m like, I was letting you be the thing you were being!”

Bravo tv fam, the new season of Vanderpump Rules is hype!

and a new Summer House season is about to drop :vince1:

The finale of Physical: 100 was a bit of a letdown. I get that it’s harder to come up with cinematic challenges for individuals, but watching guys do 100 shuttle runs was pretty boring.

1 Like

Latest ep of Poker Face was very good

1 Like

The whole show is kind of boring iyam. Every comp was twice as long as it should have been.

There was a very specific moment where I thought oh that’s a nice Columbo reference

when she tries to leave but the actress just keeps talking until she says a lie

happens often on Columbo the criminal would have gotten away with it if they’d just let Columbo leave when he says “sorry for intruding”

Succession is done after this next season and I’m struggling to finish 2 still :expressionless:

Can I interest you in men flipping over tiles then?

The round before the finals seemed like it had the best challenges.

I thought it had a ton of potential after Ep 1, but I think I’ll pass if there’s a 2nd season.

Was worth it for the Sexyama tho

That Sexyama dude was younger than I thought. At some point he said something like I just turned 48 this year in my Korean age. Turns out that Korean age is basically two more years than age in the rest of the world.

The fuck?

As I understand it they count time in the womb, so you are 1 at birth. And then everyone’s age goes up by 1 on New Year’s day. So if you’re born in December, you turn two the next month.

What

4 Likes