The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

holy shit were we all terrorized by zeke the plumber? exact same memories.

2 Likes

the other thing from my early childhood that was terrifying was the movie clownhouse. i think my dad had it on a vhs tape recorded from cable.

even scarier were details of that movie that came out later. i never went back and watched it as adult but i can remember it well still.

1 Like

I thought the 2 eps before that one were the weakest so far (and the one just after my favorite).

One problem with the show is that NL only shows up 1/3 through the eps so quality is hugely dependent on them having good guests. It will also be hard for them to keep the gimmick fresh. But at one episode a week this is still entertaining enough at the moment, I wouldnā€™t binge it though.

Yep, its incredible how efficiently they tapped into horror for a kids show.

Poker Face draws heavily from Columbo for inspiration, and so Iā€™m going to be evaluating it in that light. In some episodes, Columbo doesnā€™t show up for 30 minutes or more, so thatā€™s OK with me. Lyonne is even imitating some of Columboā€™s mannerisms.

My complaints with the retirement home episode:

• Murderer being able to climb to second story window using just her upper-body strength is totally ridiculous unless they have already established that she is a mountain climber or similar
  • Murderers killing a witness with an IED (the same MO from their prior case) makes no sense as they have established no alibi for that murder (as far the audience sees), and they already know the FBI is involved
  • Charlie confronting the murderers without a real plan makes no sense, especially since she seems to have discovered additional evidence that undoes their alibi
  • The CGI explosions were laughably bad, like something from Adobe After Effects. There is no justification for doing something like this. If budget is too low for good CGI, either use stock footage or direct around it. Many shows managed to do just that before the advent of CGI.

As for the two prior episodes:

I liked the BBQ episode. It had a locked-room mystery along with a classic type of elaborate alibi. Having the DJ do an impersonation to elicit a confession was fun.
The heavy metal episode was fine too imo, although using the true crime podcast to resolve things was a little too cute.

Just FWIW I avoid posting about TLOU because of how into it you and some others seem to be and I donā€™t want to yuck anybodyā€™s yum.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to hear your opinion, though I understand if you donā€™t feel like it given your post.

2 Likes

Ah right, I was wondering if they took the whole format from there. Iā€™ve actually never watched an ep of Colombo, seems like something I should be doing sometime.

Understandable, I tend to like silly things so most of these I actually enjoyed, although I agree that

And her making that every other ep is starting to be a little too stupid

Re:eps 3 and 4 I didnā€™t dislike them really, might be i was just getting to terms with the fact that ā€œcases of the weekā€ would not always have the novelty/intensity of the pilot episode.
Although a precise complaint on ep 3 is that they insisted too much on the train whistle in the opening, made it a little too obvious

Took me forever to try it out too but it really is as good as the reputation that precedes it.

1 Like

Just not my cup of tea I guess. I do suspect that a connection to the video game greatly enhances enjoyment of the show.

1 Like

10e030fec94f6f6f74ef17f8b68afd00

Columbo rewatch thread when?

2 Likes

Cheers! I would think so too, though my wife who hasnā€™t played the game is quite a fan.

Columbo is a fantastic show just for the period fashion, architecture, etc. Unfortunately I have been brainwashed by the Woke Mob and now I find shows like Columbo to be a little too ā€œcopagandaā€ for me, but at least Columbo is presented as actually doing work to solve crimes and not just brutalizing black people.

1 Like

Soon as you say when to show up

Just pretend Columbo is a hobo who is pretending to be a detective.

3 Likes

6 Likes

From first to last appearance <3

3 Likes

If you want to get into Columbo, there are so many good episodes that itā€™s hard to go wrong. Here are a few of my favorites.

• Suitable for Framing: Columbo vs. art critic
  • Any Old Port in a Storm: Columbo vs. wine snob
  • Double Exposure: Columbo vs. ad man
  • Make Me a Perfect Murder: Columbo vs. TV exec
  • Columbo Goes to the Guillotine: Columbo vs. psychic
  • Murder, Smoke and Shadows: Columbo vs. Spielberg
  • Columbo Goes to College: Columbo vs. rich kids
3 Likes

IIRC thereā€™s only one Columbo episode where heā€™s at the police station and they confirm he is actually on the force. His wife never once appears on screen, so itā€™s still a 100% legit fan theory that she only exists in Columboā€™s head.

1 Like