The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Incredible performance. Possible show spoilers:

https://twitter.com/SpaceCowboy207/status/1619849186782117888?s=20&t=uOZcPSpEl-8pUOm4Ng7h1A

2 Likes

A lot of stuff is, unless I’m special (I might be): Poker Face, Resident Alien, Parks and Rec, Superstore, The Office, and Columbo are shows I’ve watched free.

1 Like

I appreciate you so much. I will watch this again as its own thing. I need to make a list of episodes that includes stuff like this and San Junipero from Black Mirror as the epic queer stories you’ll miss if you don’t watch the shows.

Nick really seems like an amazing person. He volunteered stuff several years in a row for an SA survivors charity auction I participate in every year. I tried to pitch one of my editors on letting me interview him about how to tell a story by making furniture, but I think that’ll have to be one I do on my own LOL.

I dont think it’s just about fleshing out the story.

The best TV formats give the opportunity to tell stories like this.

Would’nt work as a movie. Not enough for it’s own show. But as a standalone in a world that’s already been built, it’s amazing.

Like Pine Barrens in Sopranos.

3 Likes

For you and I think everyone who loves post-apocalypse stories like The Last of Us, may I recommend the best-selling book Manhunt?

"By far the best book I’ve read this year.” — Roxane Gay

#1 Best Book of 2022 ( Vulture) • A Best Horror Novel of All Time ( Cosmopolitan ) • One of the Best Horror Novels of 2022 ( Esquire, Library Journal, Paste, and CrimeReads) • A Top 10 Horror Debuts of 2022 ( Booklist) • A Goodreads Choice Award nominee for Best Horror • A Best Book of 2022 (Tor.com) • A Best SFF Book of 2022 (Gizmodo)

Manhunt is an explosive post-apocalyptic novel that follows trans women and trans men on a grotesque journey of survival.

“A modern horror masterpiece.” — Carmen Maria Machado

Beth and Fran spend their days traveling the ravaged New England coast, hunting feral men and harvesting their organs in a gruesome effort to ensure they’ll never face the same fate.

Robbie lives by his gun and one hard-learned motto: other people aren’t safe.

After a brutal accident entwines the three of them, this found family of survivors must navigate murderous TERFs, a sociopathic billionaire bunker brat, and awkward relationship dynamics—all while outrunning packs of feral men, and their own demons.

There have been lots of post-apocalyptic stories that use binary gender divides, most recently Y: the Last Man (virus kills only men) and the upcoming adaptation of The Power (contemporary women suddenly can manifest electric shocks, reversing the gender power dynamic).

But Manhunt is written by a trans woman, so the topic of how many different kinds of people would be affected by having too much testosterone --including cisgender women!!!–is explored with the expertise and insight possible from Gretchen’s lived experience.

One aspect Manhunt explores that you’ll almost never see touched on in other post-apocalypse stories is hormone therapy for cisgender and gender non-conforming people. The very premise of the virus in Manhunt, however, requires hormone therapy for anyone to survive.

We already see what this is like in the modern world. When cisgender men are in power, women have to fight for appropriate medical treatment. But when those cisgender men (with normal or elevated testosterone levels) are now as monstrous as the rage-zombies in 28 Days Later, the fallout society must find a way to make hormone therapy as essential a resource as food and water without the technology once used to make production and access possible.

GFM: To me, the conceit of the virus was about implementing this idea that would make it very plain who is operating in a state of vulnerability in our world and who might have some social protection.

You have this virus that transforms anyone whose body produces enough testosterone into a monster, for lack of a better word. Something that can’t really think anymore and just wants to rape and kill and eat. With men out of the picture and removed from the architecture of power in America, you have a period of relative vacuum.

And then the underlying power structure is exposed, and what you have is reactionary women of one stripe or another. I make no real distinction between what we think of as liberals and what we think of as conservatives or even extreme neoconservatives. You have these people who are revealed to hold the ideals of people that they might even characterize as oppressors. You have this culture where there’s a great deal of feminist importance placed on things like who has the authority to order a drone strike.

And that’s insane. That’s an insane way to run a society. It’s a valuation of optics and the demographics above any kind of material welfare. That’s what I wanted to show with this book. I wanted to show that the people who are so loud and so forceful about women climbing to the heights of power are really just trying to replicate the world that men have built. I think that’s a profound lack of imagination and a number of other uncomplimentary things that I’d rather not say on the record.

Bonus: This is also the book that got tons and tons and tons of people to clutch their magic wands because it includes the death of JK Rowling.

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1517106024511152133

3 Likes

That episode of last of us was pretty awesome.

3 Likes

It cant be wall to wall awful people. To care about saving humanity you have to show something worth saving.

1 Like

Omg a ladder!

That open window is going to haunt me forever.

I forgot to add!!!

The song at the end of Last of Us ep 3 is considered by some to be the most overplayed composition in film history.

Having said that, it gets me every time.

3 Likes

First ep of “Poker face” got me hooked and I’ll watch the rest asap.
One fun thing is how they sprinkle clues that will be relevant later and you can try to spot them and guess how. It’s a fine line between making them too obvious and not noticeable enough though, hopefully they manage to keep the balance throughout the rest of show.

Any recs if I want to see more with Natasha Lyonne ? I haven’t seen her in much (some of OITNB and Russian Doll, But I’m a cheerleader and I guess the American Pie movies although I don’t remember those) but it is enough that I am slightly in love with her.

3 Likes

Slums of Beverly Hills for younger Lyonne in one of her first breakout performances

If you liked But I’m a Cheerleader, you’ll probably dig The Intervention. It was written and directed by Clea DuVall, who also stars in it, so I like to think of it as a spiritual sequel.

2 Likes

Apparently the episode had been rated 9.9 on IMDB then word got out that gasp 2 men had a beautiful relationship on TV, and about 12k morons rated it a 1 to drop the score to 8.3.

3 Likes

i’m not crying, you’re crying

8 Likes

Thru ep. 4 of Physcial: 100

Still highly intrigued by the concept, but feels like it’s advancing at a snail’s pace.

The way the teams were selected for event #2 seems dumb as well. First off, the people who received the 8th, 9th, and 10th most votes are basically punished severely. Would’ve been better of being the 11th most popular then you can just choose team 1.

I thought they should’ve allowed the last place captain to pick first, and so on. Why should the most popular player also have the advantage of picking the best team? Or, if they were gonna do it this way, have some kind of twist in event 2, where being a massive dude isn’t much of an advantage or maybe even a disadvantage.

That brings us to event 2. I thought it was dumb to have b2b events where being physically strong is such an overwhelming advantage.

All in all, still highly entertaining, but I think they could tweak some things to make it even better.

4 Likes

Please god tell me that is a joke tweet from him.

Never heard of Diane Morgan or the Philomena Cunk character, but I laughed more during the first episode of Netflix’s new series, Cunk on Earth, than I have in years.

It’s kind of a spiritual successor to Ali G and Baron Cohen’s other characters. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but you’ll probably love it if you were a fan of SBC.

1 Like

I do feel appropriately embarrassed. I was also into Joe Rogan at the time. It may have been Shapiro’s in hindsight horrifying first interview with Rogan that got me?

If I’m being generous in hindsight, I think I liked that he articulated himself in a way I could meaningfully argue against. I used to be a whore for juicy intellectual rabbit holes. I kinda liked if someone said something smart but awful. It was easy to dismantle and feel like I won.

2 Likes