The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Yeah the guy who adapted Watchmen is doing it. Should be GREAT

Edit: oh no, it’s the other showrunner from game of thrones. I hope it’s good

1 Like

My plan is wait until my local library has Poker Face on DVD five years from now.

2 Likes

If you like Survivor/Big Brother and cooking shows, you should check out Pressure Cooker on Netflix. I’m 4 and a half eps in, and it’s pretty good so far.

1 Like

First episode of Poker Face is legit awesome.

Last of Us

Never would have imagined episode 3 would be focused on a Ron Swanson, Armond romance. But damn that was done well

8 Likes

I am emotionally compromised. If Nick Offerman doesn’t win an emmy for his performance, we riot.

@RiskyFlush you should watch it. You can watch it by itself, it is still beautiful.

5 Likes

Battlestar Galactica is viewable on Peacock without a paid subscription (or used to be). If anyone else wants to watch

1 Like

OMG. Last of Us episode 3 possibly one of the greatest episodes of TV ever.

from the moment Ron Swanston was revealed and basically winked at the camera

I did not know I needed this episode as much as I did.

3 Likes

This is a spoiler btw.

Never played or even heard of the video game and not into zombie stories, but everyone is raving about it. Last of Us still worth a watch?

1 Like

At it’s core it’s still a post-apocalyptic Zombie story. So far this is a pretty good one though. I guess some mild spoilers that won’t really ruin it that much and might give you a better idea of what you’re in for?

The high level plot is that there’s this younger girl who seems to be immune to the fungus causing the outbreak, and may be the key to a cure. They have to traverse the devastated country from Boston to Utah to try and get her to some researchers who are working on a cure there. Through 3 episodes so far we’ve really only had about half an episode dedicated to somewhat typical zombie fights. Episode 3 was the biggest video game deviation by far and was pretty emotional. I can only speculate what the rest of the season will be like but the video game was mostly about Joel and Ellie’s bond growing as they work their way across the country dealing with Zombies but mostly just the shitty people that are still around out there.

2 Likes

Seems relevant. TLoU the TV show only gets made because of the outstanding writers and voice actors who made the game a success.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1619789230221164546?s=20&t=VtYLKe0zLht6aePw0SuIpA

4 Likes

Conflicted feelings about the last TLOU episode. It was a very well made piece of TV on its own and it hit me emotionally but I don’t know if I like how it fits in with the show/this season as a whole. With only 9 episodes I feel like the majority of screentime should be Joel and Ellie centric. Guess I’ll have a better idea once the season is done.

SPOILIES

After the first ~1/4 of the game, most of the narrative is totally centered on Joel and Ellie

I never played the game. Loving the show so far.

2 Likes

Hard disagree. As awesome as Pedro Pascal is I don’t think I can handle a full season of just him and Ellie. I’m all for episodes like this that don’t really advance the plot all that much but tell an awesome story.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Jesus my thoughts exactly.

That 5-10 minute scene of the last day is glorious television

5 Likes

Her character was the most memorable for me in the game.

“We’re shitty people, Joel, It’s been that way for a long time”.

2 Likes

Agree. They have to flesh out the other characters otherwise they are going to either run our of story to tell or start stretching to fill time which would be awful.

It takes 15-20 hours to beat the game depending on how much of a completionist you are. There are 90 minutes of cut scenes, the rest is just playing the game. If you wanted to tell the main story of the game it could easily be a 2.5 hour movie.

They need to fill 10 hours of tv time. You can’t do it just following Joel and Ellie around.