The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

2 Likes

Spectre is a pretty great word though

Especially when paired with “of incest”.

In other news, after one ep Poker Face on NBC/Peacock is OK. Not great but watchable imo. Will stick with it.

I think it’s awesome. I also think you personally would like the first season. The first ep is a bit boring and the second is quite comedy-oriented. I was sort of expecting it to become a farce but it swings back towards drama and ends up being an exploration of the corrosive effects of money on people and relationships.

2 Likes

Thanks for the spoiler

2 Likes

I’m on ep1 and am loving it. Natasha Lyonne in a series by Rian Johnson?? It’s as good as I hoped.

1 Like

Oh, shit, Rian Johnson? Now I have to check it out

1 Like

Really want to see this show but I’m not about to pay for whatever a peacock is just to watch it.

1 Like

I’m on episode 3 and it is I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E.

If you really have to just wait until it’s over and binge it with a free trial.

You honestly will be better off because there are only four episodes so far, and I’m about to be a drug addict who has to wait until next Thursday for a hit.

My biggest complaint about Poker Face is how many times they work in clever references to other detective franchises, and yet not once has someone said “Columbo.”

On second thought, maybe that’s my favorite part of the show.

If I do a free trial of Peacock can I watch the MacGruber series? I remember trying that a while back and it only let me watch the first episode. I gotta do my own throat rips around here?

2 Likes

A live-action adaptation of The Three Body problem is airing in China rn. The first 9 episodes are on YouTube

I’m only 3 episodes in but it feels faithful to the books and has solid production values. It has a few quirks that I’m not used to, like in western cinema or TV they wouldn’t put as many montage sequences and the music would be cooler. But I loved the books so I’m loving seeing it on the screen.

It’s all in Chinese so you gotta deal with subtitles

6 Likes

Macgruber was so good, it’s worth the sub imo

2 Likes

I find Natasha Lyonne to be a bit schticky, but it’s relatively toned-down in this so far.

I like the general setup, the writing, and the way it’s shot, it’s very clear it’s a Rian Johnson joint.

1 Like

And their movie catalog is excellent. They just added Tár and She Said, as well as Nope, They/Them, and Bros.

This would be my normal reaction, but I got Peacock to watch Battlestar Gallactica so I might just let it ride for a bit.

1 Like

I say this with LUFF. She gets better and better the further she is into recovery IRL. I thought since her American Pie days jesus this gal is talented. She had a rough period where substance abuse took her down, but here she is with her talent on full display. Maybe you relate in a way like me in thinking that she prob thought the toned-up performance was essential to her brand, but I’m loving the more restrained performances from her of late.

1 Like

GOAT reference to The Conversation!!!

I’m looking forward to whoever makes a list of all of the easter eggs.

I thought she was fun when she hosted SNL for last season’s finale.

1 Like

When does Netflix pick up the Three Body Problem show?