The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Says someone who has never seen Shaun of the Dead

1 Like

Agree on zombie stuff but I did quite like the first episode mostly due to intrigue around the factions in the post-apocalyptic world.

Having finally just watched the first two seasons of Dark Iā€™m also going to say that zombies>>>time travel which is always either too childish to where it doesnā€™t make sense or so complicated and messy that I canā€™t even focus on the rest of the narrative because Iā€™m spending the whole time trying to sort it out in my head. Time travel shit is always such a spew of deus ex machina as well so the stakes evaporate after a while. And of course any constraints they put on it will be broken eventually so they can keep it going. That said, Dark is about as well as this can be done I think and I enjoyed the first 1.5 seasons before tapping out early in the third. 7/10

1 Like

Very funny movie. But zombies :frowning:

I mean what? Time travel is rooted in the possibilities of future science, while zombie films are just daft and once youā€™ve seen oneā€¦

Iā€™m taking all this anti-zombie talk as violence against me.

7 Likes

4 Likes

I binged through Fleishman is in Trouble. It did seem like the ā€œnow he is getting lots of girlsā€ stuff was just a divorce fantasy to win over the male audience. I find the comments below not very believable:

Taffy Brodesser-Akner, the author and showrunner of Fleishman Is in Trouble, was around 40 when she noticed that many of her friends were getting divorced and downloading dating apps. Though married, Brodesser-Akner was fascinated by the dating revolution that seemed to have happened in the years since sheā€™d been single.

Brodesser-Akner found that straight men on the dating apps seemed to be having ā€œridiculously wonderful times.ā€ But her straight women friends werenā€™t so lucky: ā€œMen their age were looking for somebody younger or thinner, or with fewer kids or with no kids,ā€ she says.

Then, one day, I went for lunch with a friend of mine who said, ā€œListen, Iā€™m getting a divorce.ā€ He had already moved out. The alimony was worked out. The child support was worked out. He took out his phone and he showed me what it is like for somebody our age to be on dating apps. My mind was blown. I had never seen anything like this. I knew by then that if I had never seen anything like it, it might be a good story.

I would bet money that this didnā€™t actually happen as she is describing and much more likely that this friend was actually a woman - especially as she has flipped the genders in the story - with Toby being the ā€œwifeā€.

Is the nervous breakdown 20 boxes of lo mein stuff actually a realistic scenario?

Mrs. otatop and I started watching Paul T. Goldman on Peacock tonight, weā€™re on the third episode and this story is weird as hell and the actual Paul reminds me of Tommy Wiseau. The meta stuff showing the filming of the reenactments is comedy gold.

1 Like

Itā€™s such a weird show. Somehow the obtrusive artifice makes it feel hyper realistic. Like when they have the actual people involved watching the recreations from the side. Their reactions to seeing themselves are fascinating.

I thought last of us first ep was A+.

4 Likes

Yah, I find that part super hard to believe. A nerdy looking guy with a crap profile, bad pics, etc. isnā€™t gonna insta crush online dating just b/c heā€™s a doctor. Especially in NYC where a lot of the competition will also have high profile jobs and be better looking and younger.

That was a lot of fantasy in his head was my read.

(Note: the poll is ā€œcurse words,ā€ ā€œswear words,ā€ or ā€œcuss wordsā€)

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/1616163641103114241

https://twitter.com/ITYSL/status/1616241969197453312

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/1616272911601651713

3 Likes

Oh yeah

1 Like

Double oh yeah

1 Like

Is this new Junji Ito series on Netflix any good?

Thatā€™s awesome. Six seasons of story is a great length to end on.

Until then :pray:

Before the third movieā€™s release, Columbia partnered with DiC Entertainment and Saban Entertainment to build on the franchiseā€™s popularity with a Saturday morning cartoon developed by Dan Distefano. Forgoing the tournament aspect central to the plots of the films, the show was done as a quest show as Daniel (Joey Dedio) and Miyagi (Robert Ito) pursued a miniature shrine with mystical powers after it was stolen from a temple in Okinawa. The shrine traveled around the world and bestowed powers upon those who ended up with it, and usually found a way to elude the heroes just before they could retrieve it. Along the way, they usually ended up having to help those they encountered with problems besides the ones tied to the shrine. Joining them on their hunt was an Okinawan girl named Taki (Janice Kawaye), who bore a resemblance to Danielā€™s girlfriend from the second movie, Kumiko.

2 Likes

Oh hell yeah, surprise show of the year (or at least top 3) for me.

Some pretty amazing animation releases in the last two years. Arcane, Invincible, Pantheon, even something like Undone on Amazon.

Hm, havenā€™t seen or heard of Pantheon! But yeah for sure good times for animated series.

Nowhere to watch pantheon here :/ Iā€™m sure it will show up in a while on Amazon or the like.