The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

If she’ll adjust dolphin to shark, we finally found the star for a Jaws reboot!!!

I thought I knew a lot about Madoff but HOLY SHIT A GUY GAVE THEM A ROADMAP TO THE CRIME FOR 8 YEARS BEFORE IT BLEW UP LOLOLOL SEC JFC

3 Likes

It really hit right in the nexus of “are they in on it” and “are they incompetent”. Like, it doesn’t matter because the results look exactly the same.

That he kept going every few years is crazy too. True hero.

I never knew the specifics of the Madoff case, but the doc does a great job of outlining the incompetence.

The dude was responsible for ~10% of trades on Wall Street but no one traded with him? Only JPmorgan who had his account did any business with him.

It was kind of papered over how he survived the 80s crash though.

I think the legitimate trading business was actually legitimate and very high volume. It was the “investment advisory” business that was 100% Ponzi.

I thought Madoff invented payment for order flow, which is now a big source of revenue for legitimate brokerages. That’s how Robin Hood and others are able to offer 0 commission trades.

Essentially the brokerages get paid by hedge funds and market makers for giving them lots of trades to execute.

That sounds right. And when that area got competitive his legitimate business started losing money and he used the Ponzi to prop it up. He was super super attached to seeming like a bigshot, so belt-tightening or downsizing was not something he was remotely willing to do.

1 Like

NSFW

https://twitter.com/BenKearns6/status/1613609451063214085

4 Likes

Had to check to see if this was real in which case I was prepared to purchase it immediately

1 Like

I am about to watch the last two episodes and can say this is one of the greatest seasons of tv shows of all time.

I think it is shockingly poorly marketed. The trailers, posters, and adverts don’t really highlight what it’s like to watch the show. At least to me :crazy_face:

A bunch of lines throughout that knocked me to the floor.

“I returned for refuge to the last place I remember seeing myself”

Or when he’s bemoaning his life and the other person tells him, “Yeah, you didn’t get the promotion and you’re divorced. Welcome to middle age. The alternative was to die young.”

Now to see what the last two eps deliver :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Fans of Industry: Marisa Abela (Jasmin) is set to play Amy Winehouse.

1 Like

:vince2:

1 Like

Omg the last two are by far the best!!!

For my fellow Poggites, Peacock has a full out Werewolf game on TV. Ten reality TV players and ten randos, 3 wolves. Its called the Traitor.

When I saw the list of players, I picked out my dream wolf team, and the producers nailed it. Curious to see how far they go.

2 Likes

Halfway through season 1 of Succession and is there gonna be even one single sympathetic character in this show? Literally everyone is hot garbage to this point

1 Like

Like I don’t even care who succeeds Bryan Cox now but there’s no good guy it’s amazing

1 Like

:vince2:

2 Likes

Who is going to tell him?

Yup. It’s definitely a “the meteor can take them all out, why do I care what happens to anyone” show.

This seems Wolfy

Lynch Durron597

1 Like