The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I binged the start super hard as I recall, and didn’t realize until day 2 (episode 8 or 9 or so) that there was apparently a whole set up to the stuff I had just watched. Went back and watched the mini-series and then jumped back to episode 9 or whatever. It worked well enough, I was hooked regardless. Binged the whole show in a couple weeks or something, quickly enough to catch the last 3 or so episodes live as they aired.

1 Like

I think they did a pretty good job making things clear enough that watching the miniseries wasn’t mandatory, though it did help a ton.

I’m surprised this kind of thing hasn’t happened to me more often. Once I decide to watch a show I actively avoid trying to learn anything about it. Just too afraid of inadvertent spoilers.

2 Likes

33 is a pilot episode that’s a near perfect pilot episode regardless of what you think of series as a whole. If you wanted to boil down the essence of man vs machine, having to escape robots who attack every 33 minutes without any pause for sleep or rest is such a perfect encapsulation of it.

1 Like
7 Likes

https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/1613206761930121220

3 Likes

TLOU gettinf some major strong reviews with special mention to Nick Offerman absolutely murdering his dramatic role. Really looking forward to that

3 Likes

My expectations are very high for this. Most anticipated show of the year. Love love, love the games. Loved Chernobyl. Love Pedro Pascal. All the hype.

3 Likes

Finished White Lotus S2, enjoyed it a lot more than S1.

I think I went into S1 expecting a Succession type of satire with constant funny dialogue when it is not that at all. So going into S2 I already had a better idea of the tone of the show and thought it delivered perfectly.

Also the character dynamics in S2 were more interesting than in S1 where it was more basic class stuff. I think in S1 the only characters I really liked was Sydney Sweeney (hadn’t seen her in anything before…she’s so good in this)+friend, whereas in S2 I was interested in all the arcs by the end.

Some good takes itt on this show, it’s pretty painful trying to use the search feature and read them months later lol, next time I’ll watch in real time. Also this is 100% on me but it might have been more enjoyable to not know the ending in advance (here the xx character saying “these xxxx are trying to xxxxxx me” has been all over Twitter for the last 2 months…).

2 Likes

Yeah, my experience of seasons 1 and 2 is that season 1 is a bit more of a comedy of errors and season 2 leans a bit more to pure tragedy. This is an over simplification of course but I found the tone of season 1 to be much lighter. Season 1 feels more like whacky hijinks and season 2 is more has more of a “marching inexorably toward tragedy” feel to it. This plays out in the big reveal in each season where Armond’s death is mostly an accident of circumstance, but Tanya’s death is orchestrated.

1 Like

Euphoria is worth a watch even just for Sydney Sweeney

4 Likes

8 Likes
5 Likes

I’m annoyed about how little French people speak in Three Pines. Didn’t notice the lighting. Agree that it’s typical genre fare (which makes it more disappointing it doesn’t lean into the Quebec angle more).

As a descendant of people that helped found Montreal, I too am bummed by the lack of Frenchie angle.

I would agree here but would also caution anyone who hasn’t seen Euphoria that season one in particular is stuffed to the brim with sexual assault.

Having said that, it’s also stuffed with one actor after another who is now famous beyond the show.

And one of the actors has a fun connection to a previous overly sexual movie…

https://medium.com/fan-fare/maude-apatows-dad-made-a-movie-raunchier-than-euphoria-9af1ab1cb68b?sk=04593a8df1b0cc9924077a2444863d8d

yeah I think this is a good point, although S2 definitely still has a comedy aspect, exemplified in your spoiler where there is indeed a plot against Tanya, but her actual death is still basically a comic gag. But yes I think the fact that they mixed up the tone a bit is also why I enjoyed it more.

thanks for the tip, unfortunately I’m all maxed out on teenage drama at the moment since I’m still in the middle of a Gossip Girl rewatch (3.5 seasons to go)

2 Likes

:vince3:

Totally agree. I think there’s a lot in S2 that is funny, even though the tone is a bit heavier overall than S1. I’m looking forward to S3 for sure.

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1613315079969161217?t=054qe5_qYD69ocCCAGfbgw&s=19

8 Likes

That’s all I think about when I do.

1 Like