The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

I thought the Marie-Skyler scene was a key turning point in the show, and that Marie slapping Skyler was a sort of heroic act, in its I’m-scared-out-of-my-mind way.

In terms of combining being morally good with actually taking action, Kim seems like the most likely candidate for being the hero, but as I recall Kim is only in Better Call Saul.

[Edited because she wanted me to backpedal a little bit, tone it down, and not rush to conclusions.]

Kim is only in BCS, but she is in no way a morally good character. The entire first half of the final season (and particularly Bad Choice Road) is Kim attempting to ruin a man’s life for essentially no reason.

Yes, the act and the aftermath end up breaking her in the end and leading her back into a mostly moral life, but she had her outs plenty of times to make the right decision and went with the intoxication of the high she got from scamming.

And I like Kim. She is by far my favorite character of both shows, but she is not anywhere close to the most morally good player.

Honestly, Id give that to Howard. He was the most consequential side character (way more than Marie or Walt Jr.) who never really did anything wrong. He punished Kim once for Jimmys actions, but almost everything he did in the first three seasons were under threat from Chuck, so its hard to hold him responsible

1 Like

Oh, honey, no. There’s a baby Walt in your ear telling you that

Well I had the wrong episode anyway. I meant Axe and Grind. It was Kim’s way out. Her “Schwartz will pay for your entire treatment, Walt” moment.

He has cerebral palsy, as does the actor who played him.

I didn’t view Hank’s efforts as stalling to help Walt evade capture, he was more just being either selfish in trying to be the one who caught him or displaying hubris in thinking he was the only one who could catch him - though he may have been right about that.

My favorite thing about it is that it’s such a complex character drama. Who’s good? Who’s bad? No major character is perfect, except the kids. Even Marie has the klepto thing going on. I don’t think Gomie ever does anything bad but you could debate whether he’s a major character.

I see Marie’s particular act of larceny as essentially blameless. There’s no victim in any meaningful sense. It’s not like she’s grabbing cash from a register to buy drugs with or, you know, snatching a hot dog and fries away from a homeless person.

It’s also entirely possible that she, by watching Hank’s work in law enforcement over the years, knows that the particular crown she takes is actually hot, and no one will ever come looking for it (because of Hank) or report the theft.

hey Mr Mod, can you excise the BB/BCS stuff to the TV thread? I’m trying to abandon hope here…

1 Like

I mean, there isnt much more abandoning hope than BB. Its fucking bleak on rewatches

Much like Walt (and almost every character in Breaking Bad) his fatal flaw is pride. Gilligan sure knows how to write men with prideful downfalls.

1 Like

Gale is the most moral character. He is just passionate about cooking the best, purest meth for America’s tweakers and I am fine with that.

3 Likes

Ok, who here joined the writers room for The Good Fight?

https://twitter.com/BrentHBaker/status/1590779623234801670?t=3NMl8wbySN3sfBK5QQeG0w&s=19

https://twitter.com/BrentHBaker/status/1590795106541572110?t=3NMl8wbySN3sfBK5QQeG0w&s=19

Ummm he knew Gus was going to kill Walt and actively worked to help that happen

What about the shoplifting? Are we just giving her a mental illness pass?

Edit: Just saw your subsequent post on this. Wasn’t her shoplifting a repeated thing? It wasn’t just one time, was it?

Yeah they had to get her a therapist because she kept doing it.

https://twitter.com/tokitaffy/status/1592666803775635457?t=7jNJYLQZaYNfLssGaRI87g&s=19

2 Likes

Killing Walt at that time would have made the world a better place.

Oh Jesus. I’m guessing you also believe Walt that he doesn’t use crystal meth?

ガメラ!!!

I’m only 1 episode in but 1899 captured every bit of intrigue and love I had about Dark. I’m all in.

2 Likes

Same here, saw a couple reviews of like “its too complicated!” and yeah inject that to my veins. Love the 5+ different languages too. Not binging though.

1 Like