The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

FYI, you don’t even need to register to catch this absolute masterpiece. I’m surprised the Criterion Channel didn’t already lock up the rights to this film.RIP Raul Julia.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1590028887802531840?s=20&t=FsdSwz9NuxJ6g0uZH0qgIQ

1 Like

You should listen to the “How Did This Get Made” episode on this movie, it’s amazing.

There are some great visual gags in that movie that I missed the first time I saw it. M Bison changing out of his uniform and into leisure wear and then putting his hat back on is perfect.

I’d say it’s one of the GOAT good-bad movies.

2 Likes

Its a terrible movie but it might be my favorite Julia role, which is really saying something as hes fantastic in everything.

1 Like

Family (2018) is also on Tubi. Terrible name, as it makes it hard to search for, but good flick.

dlk9s jr is in it, throwing kicks and punches in a karate class. His sensei is Paper Boi. A friend of mine also has lines as a juggalo.

2 Likes

I fear this is a monumental ask

It’s not a comedic role, and he does just fine.
Kinnear won an Oscar FFS, so it’s not impossible to be a good actor and on daily tv.

Since my words can only do so much justice, here is a breakdown of some of the more high level plot points.

Do not, and I cannot stress this enough, do not watch past the 6:45 mark. Johnny warns you but I am doing so as well. He will spoil the major plot points of S1 after that point.

I finished the season, and while the first half is marginally better than the second, the entire thing is very very good and knowing we wont be cock blocked with an unfinished story with a S2 ordered and confirmed makes it all the better. I will compare this favorably to Arcane, my surprise hit of the previous year. This show should be highly considered for the Emmy and if it is it will likely win like Arcane did

1 Like

Girl, he simpin’ (Simpin’)
I walk up in the club with a limpin’ (limpin’)
God listen, what you gonna do with this pimpin’?
What you gonna do with this pimpin’?
Girl, I’m a call ya (call ya)

E-40 and T-pain! Amazing song. I think e-40 was using simpin’ long before that because we were saying it before then. Me and my friends would always give each other hard time if we bailed out to go hang out with a chick instead of the boys. “ “oh man you simpin, it’s Saturday night” or damn your leaving to go to watch a movie with her? You simpin’”
Slang is super regional and crazy to me when I think about it . We were a bunch of mostly white kids on west coast just repeating a rapper we liked.

I watched White Lotus S1 based on the discussion ITT, went in knowing absolutely nothing about it. A+ results.

4 Likes

Holy shit is that real?

Its actually really easy to root for Walt on first watch. Gilligan sets up the first season to draw you that way before the rug pull. By that point some people are already pot committed

Right - that’s one thing that’s so great about the writing. You root for Walt for a long time then finally realize, wait, he’s the baddie. Even then, you still kind of root for him a bit.

I did not find that to be the case. I honestly found myself just wading through the wreckage of the show literally adding up crimes on a piece of paper and finding that Marie was basically the only morally good character. I hated Jesse too, even though he’s endearing sometimes, on first watch.

Walt Jr? Gomez?

Walt Jr. seems like he, well, takes after his father. I mean, how old is the kid supposed to be? Does he have a speech impediment or is his leg crippled? There’s no evidence in the show itself that he ever commits a crime, though. He’s sort of a non-entity from the standpoint of the action. Is there something I missed with him?

Gomez is likely in on Hank’s efforts to stall the DEA and help Walt evade capture.

Right, and then when you watch it a second time you realize how much of a giant dick Walt is almost from day 1.

3 Likes

Walt jr and Marie are about equal parts when it comes to being non-entity.

The only real major act Walt Jr does is a pretty heroic one when he throws himself in front of Skyler at the end of Ozymandias.

Walt Jr reminds us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

7 Likes

I actually agree with this. I think it’s because there is no clear good guy. Everybody except Walt Jr. is bad to a certain degree.

1 Like