The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Rofl The Rehearsal episode 2 this shit has me dying.

4 Likes

Rings of PowerPlus such a pure of heart Harefoot isnā€™t going to have such a wrong read on character.

One other thing is that Gandalf is often associated with fire magic like they show in ep 7. Though I guess so is Sauron.

The Watcher

This show could have been really great in the right hands, but ultimately felt like it was written and directed by a 12 year old doing a Jordan Peele impression. There wasnā€™t enough subtly or mystery and it wasnā€™t a horror movie or a comedy. It was just really fucking awkward.

1 Like

Durinā€™s wife turning into a Lady MacBeth kind of character is a fun twist.

Iā€™ve enjoyed the first couple episodes of the Iran hostage docuseries on HBO. I was five years old when it happened so I kinda remember hearing about it but Iā€™m learning a lot. Itā€™s also interesting to think about Iran and the US today. Somebody says something in the first episode along the lines of ā€œrevolution is inconceivable until itā€™s inevitableā€, which really resonated.

The Patient is so good. Episode 9 was unreal tension.

2 Likes

The Peripheral off to a decent start. Weird choice thereā€™s a bunch other W. Gibson books that Iā€™d pick over that, very unmemorable to me.

Really? I enjoyed the first two Jackpot books more than anything heā€™s written in a very long time. Iā€™ll be curious to hear how the show progresses from somebody who read the book. Probably wonā€™t watch it myself because the trailer looked bad and I have no faith in Nolan and Joy as showrunners.

Its weird but my favorite book of his is Idoru (not counting NM obviously) so Iā€™d rather see that trilogy explored, or his AR trilogy, but yeah while not super happy with ep 1, ep 2 was a big step up, Iā€™m in for the rest. Nolan/Joy doing their thing but at least trying to not make it westworld2 which is nice. Trailer seemed very westworld and it hasnā€™t been that so far. Weā€™ll see. :pirate_flag:

Iā€™m hooked on the Perry Mason books. Loving the film noir elements, not too happy about the sexism, def going to burn through all of them and maybe watch the TV show for the first time in three decades.

Well thatā€™s weird. I assumed that I had read probably quite a few books by Gibson, me being a SF nerd and all. Turns out itā€™s just Neuromancer, and the Difference Engine that Iā€™ve read, both when they were new-ish. Somehow I had him and Stephenson as being the same author in my head. Iā€™ll have to check this one out for sure.

Read Burning Chrome, itā€™s a collection of short stories by Gibson, itā€™s his earliest work. His later work got more complex, but not (imo) better. ā€œHinterlandsā€ is one of my favourite short stories ever.

The Power of the Doctor premiered today, in case anyone forgot.

HOTD:

OK who in charge here has the violent birthing fetish because thatā€™s the only explanation I can think of for doing this 4 times in 10 episodes. The episode was fine though and Iā€™ll see you in 2 years for whatever is next.

Not a big horror person, but pretty interested in this tomorrow:

2 Likes

The Watcher was weird. It felt like it was good or was supposed to be good, but the more I watched, the more I just wanted it to be over. I know it would make for bad TV if every character made good decisions, but jfc, it would have been nice if they made one good decision. And yeah, the ending was pretty fucking bad.

I only have one episode left and canā€™t make myself close it out

HOTD. Iā€™m disappointed we didnā€™t get what was in the book:

A less attractive daughter Baratheon daughter asked Aemond if he had lost one of his eyes or one of his balls, enraging him. One story is that Aemond cut out the eyes from the corpse of Lucerys and served them to that daughter.

20 minutes into HOTD

1. Thanks, HOTD for the third truly awful childbirth scene in this first season. My ritz crackers were delicious, thanks.

2. Is it to be implyed that Rhaneyra essentially willed herself into a miscarriage so that she could concentrate on the upcoming war?