The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

dumb hotd

The show is supposed to cover the dance of the dragons which is what we’re getting to. It may not have been necessary but I’m fine with them doing some back story stuff without just throwing us right into it.

Yeah it seems about half this thread knew the time jump was coming

hotd

how can you just recast the actress that was carrying the entire show, like cant you use special fx and age her up? looooooool

2 Likes

this recast feels like when they replaced the mom in fresh prince and just expected no one to notice.

2 Likes

hotd

I thought that the two new actresses were really terrible and that episode sucked. Very disappointed.

Sir Criston, Daemon and the flower smeller whose name I don’t know didn’t age at all though

The dragons felt like jurassic park dinosaurs

As a counterpoint I kind of get what they’re doing with Galadriel’s character. The elves are supposed to be smug and feel superior to the other beings in Middle Earth and Galadrial is one of the OG elves from the first age so it does make sense how she rolls up the court of Numenor and tries to boss people around and generally comes across as snotty to everyone.

The big gamble the show is making is trying to make us care about the fate of Numenor, which is not something that the movies touch on very much. We already care about the Hobbits and Durin’s Folk and even the elves but it’s an ask to make me emotionally invested in Numenor.

Well I guess this is a hotd hot take

I thought it was fine. I thought that the Alicent actress was slightly better and the Rhaenyra actress maybe slightly worse. Don’t understand why everyone seems to think they’re awful.

Also totally reasonable for them to use new actresses for people going from teenage to 20s and keep the same ones for 30s to 40s.

My main problems were just random unexplained shit, which has been present in every episode. Here are some questions I have

1. This one is from the last episode. Why exactly is Alicent pissed off that Rhaenyra banged Cristan? Rhaenyra only promised that she didn’t bang Daemon. Maybe if they’re really friends she’d be a little upset that she didn’t give up that info, but that wasn’t the actual topic of conversation.

2. Why does Laena suicide herself by dragon?

3. Wasn’t it Rhaenyra’s plan to at least have kids with Laenor? It sounded like Laenor would do the knocking up and apart from that she could bang on the side and down some moon tea as needed. They couldn’t stick with that part of the plan? She’s not a fucking moron (at least she wasn’t in the first 5 episodes). Surely she could have seen the implications? I guess using a black actor for Corlys actually was kind of key for this plot point.

1 Like

Just wanted to say, the house of the dragon spoiler tags are appreciated. I’m waiting for a bit to binge it, probably a week or two after it ends.

I had to read it from an episode review but the show shows the juxtaposition of Alicent as a sexually shut down wife doing her duty for the realm (the dead eye stare sex scene) and Rhaenyra has sexually liberated, having hot sex with whoever she wants and that combined with others telling her that Rhaenyra is an obvious threat to her and her son’s potential succession would leave her feeling one, jealous of Rhaenyra and two, scornful of her as being a foolish dilettante who nevertheless is a threat.

To me that makes sense but it feel like the show is missing a piece to put it together

2 Likes

Why did Daemon’s wife choose to burn her baby with herself instead of allowing the baby to be cutout? Why do all of Rhaenyra’s kids have brown hair and all of Alicent’s have white hair and why are Daemon’s kids all darker than his wife (as opposed to mixed race) since they are now 3/4ths Targaryn?

Sure seems to be. If he is Sauron it’s quite the misdirect.

lol i didnt even get this far and may not even. i’m not sure i can keep watching. i felt insulted for some reason.

Probably Gandalf but it’s ñ not entirely clear. There are strong clues in both directions.

LotR We don’t know who evil elf guy is either. Or at least I don’t. Maybe some book nerd does.

It explains why Gandalf has an affinity for Hobbits if they were the first people he met and they helped him out.

But note that they go out of their way to note that the torches in ep1 don’t give off heat in that evil cave, workshop. Also the crater Starman was found in wasn’t hot. Remember that the One Ring in Fellowship stays cool even after it’s been in a fire.

I think he’s not canon.

1 Like

Good lord, people.

Someone make a Rings of Power thread and a House of the Dragon thread.

5 Likes

HOTD chat is gonna die off, I’m fairly certain lol

One containment thread to rule them all!

4 Likes