The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Seen (and loved) all but The Sopranos. It’s in the queue, after I catch up to the final season of BCS.

Rewatched Sopranos for the first time in a long time during covid. It’s still elite. I envy you!

2 Likes

Recency bias ITT. I, Claudius deserves a spot on Rushmore, I will die on this hill.

2 Likes

Still got BCS ahead of BB on the pantheon

1 Like

For pantheon purposes, I count them together as one work of art. I think that’s debatable, but not unreasonable.

1 Like

Just a wild take.

I enjoy a lot of BCS, but for the overwhelming majority of the show, there are no stakes for the characters. We know what happens to Gus, Mike, Saul, etc. It’s incredible that they were able to turn out a good show out of a spin-off. But BB just gets better and better every season and caps it off with probably the best final season ever for a serial drama. Saul… does not.

3 Likes

And I maintain that ending the Lalo / Howard storylines before the glacial black and white snooze fest was a terrible decision.

4 Likes

Like I said, I consider them as a single thing, but if I were forced to consider them separately, I definitely agree with this.

The prequel is handicapped by the fact that we know who lives and who almost certainly dies. That’s a structural problem that is nearly impossible to overcome. You can’t create the same kind of suspense as BB.

If you’re going to do the snooze fest at all, then it pretty much has to be after the other thing. I think it works fine if they make the snooze fest not a snooze fest.

But thats why its so important that the foundation of BCS is made around Jimmy/Chuck and the cartel stuff takes such a bsckseat early ob.

Its not meant to be suspensful in the same way, but you cant tell me tbe Jimmy/Chuck storyline isnt suspensful and great

2 Likes

It’s not without suspense and it is great. Just not quite as good as BB. Thankfully, all these problems go away when you think of the whole thing as just one big series.

Which I think is how history will end up considering it. And if we consider it that way, its a no brainer rushmore

Rings of Power: I tried to accept the show’s flaws early on and give it a chance (so much so that I was cautiously recommending it to people), but this episode tipped the scales into hate watch territory. I can’t stand the characters. They’re boring, humorless, one-dimensional, and for all their ponderousness, they fail to evoke any grandeur. The elves suck, Durin sucks, the Arondir guy mega sucks, Isildur kinda sucks, Galadriel basically sucks. Numenor did not live up to the hype. I don’t mind the hobbits and meteor guy as that’s the only thing clicking on an emotional level atm, everything else feels like a 3rd rate fantasy series produced for syfy.

Yeah agree, not like from a prudish standpoint but almost the other way around, nothing is really shocking about any of it like its supposed to be so its just boring and really over the top. Had the same issue with Euphoria although I was able to finish season 1 of Industry because the workplace drama was at least engaging enough.

1 Like

This

1 Like

I mean I guess (I guess?) you can dislike Succession, but saying that it’s bad writing is just attention-seeking.

2 Likes

TIL where Isilidur got his name (I assume).

1 Like

https://twitter.com/timeimmemorial_/status/1574048512752467969?s=20&t=ZLPuIHfxsEOiDaQXWzYIcw

1 Like

The fuck was that dragon crap? Hey, all that stuff from the first 5 episodes? Yeah, that was all, like, background. Or something. We’re not really sure. Honestly we don’t even know this show is about. Anyway, here’s a couple brand new actresses who have absolutely zero charisma. Enjoy!

hollywood employs this terribly overused excuse for poor writing by only writing dor characters who are monumentally stupid.

fwiw i am upto date on succession and i am mildly amused to find out how it all ends. but i would call it show running, and i do think some of the acting makes most of the material