The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

If you had to rank the baddies it’s pretty tough to pick between the rapists/sexual assualt bros(of which there were plenty) and the 50 year old organizers imo.

It is wild to think that woodstock 99 was several orders of magnitude worse than fyre fest and I don’t think it is remotely debateable. That doesn’t even account for people bathing in, drinking and wallowing around in literal shit with no access to clean water because of incompetence for days.

So finished up The Sandman.

Weird knowing about the whole Gaiman series just a little bit but not the whole thing. Like I know Desire and Death have massive roles to play (as if this wasn’t obvious). But setting up Hell vs Dreams for next season is a hell of a mike drop

Re: Woodstock 99

If you were one of the lucky 10% that avoided sexual assault, disease, injury, or mental trauma, then the energy for that Korn set had to be pretty memorable.

3 Likes

According to Wikipedia, more people died at the 69 one than the 99 one!

Kid Rock
Korn
Limp Bizkit

What a wonderful generation the baby boomers spawned. Why wasn’t Marilyn Manson invited? 1999 was like the nut low for music, with the exception of Californication.

My plan was to fast forward through Black Bird just to see how it ends because I wasnt really looking for that kind of series. Then I started episode, watched it in full and finished the whole thing in 2 days. Even managed to not checking in on google or wiki about that guy before or while watching. Kinda surprised there isnt a wiki article. Because of some news I stumbled on the UK killer Fred West and there was a pretty large wiki about his doings.

I hoped for a more revealing end. Sucks that all the bodys remain hidden forever. Hell I could have imagined James killing Larry in the workshop to stop him from ever getting released. Or at least snatch the fkn map. I am not sure if I missed it but I also found it weird that the FBI lady was visiting him only once and not telling him that the deadline changed to 1 month. That prison riot was something else. The whole time I wondered why the prisoners could walk around freely when they are deemed mentally insane.

Overall I didnt feel that I wasted my time.

This was pointed out in the HBO documentary. Woodstock 69 wasn’t necessarily all love and peace as its creators like to present to an ignorant audience.

I owned CDs of all 3 bands as a young teenager.

Slightly ashamed. Though I think Korn was pretty good up until Untouchables. The rest, ick.

4 Likes

One thing that strikes me watching the 99 doc is how different the world was when you didn’t have cell phones everywhere. I was in university in the late 90s and we had many parties that had the same structure of driving to the middle of nowhere with a lot of drugs and alcohol, but with no support infrastructure and no cell phones. It’s kind of amazing that no one was ever seriously hurt.

Definitely having been college aged in 1999 the whole vibe makes more sense. It was a lot easier back then for people to not really know what was going on because they didn’t have 24/7 streaming of information in and out.

1 Like

I loved the original Wonder Years as well as the grinder, but haven’t watched the remake it all

For a similar reason, 1999 was a pretty great year for actual good music.

From the late 90s you have so many huge alternative acts that are still the big to mid headliners at these festivals, while you uh, won’t see limp bizkit at lollapalooza or Coachella anytime soon.

It was a good time in hip hop. Things Fall Apart and Black On Both Sides are both genre classics that I think came out in 1999.

1 Like

Both 98 and 2000 had much bigger timeless albums
(Aeroplane over the sea, kid A) but I still like a lot of the 1999 ones.

2000 is the beginning of my personal sweet spot as you start to get the garage band revival with the hives/white stripes leading into the strokes, arcade fire, yeah yeah yeahs, the national etc early to mid 2000s run

Maybe for rock/metal or white people music in general. Hip hop and R&B was at the end of a golden era. Look at this line up of classic gems: Pharoahe, Mos Def, Nas, and The Roots all in their prime, MF Doom just getting started as Dre releases his inexplicably good swan song album.

Then on the R&B front you had TLC, Aaliyah, Destiny’s Child, just excellent pop music all over the place. Then they all either died, broke up, or went crazy and started burning people’s houses down.

3 Likes

Finished the rest of Woodstock 99. Felt that they let the promoters off way too easily.

They were complete sleazeballs. Guess maybe being sanctimonious and judgmental might have been the better path after all.

I thought they were both pretty critical and too forgiving. They probably intentionally set out to have a “balanced” tone and what you end up with is the promoters look pretty awful AND are let off too easily. “These drunk and high Limp Bizkit fans seems out of control, let’s give them fire to play with” is not the kind of thing that really can be hand waved away.

Yea the promoters came off as sleezy but somehow so idealistic and out of touch that “we just wanted to have a candle light vigil to end the festival” is just a thing they do. Like ok, but shouldn’t have “what are the people going to do with the candles when they’re done” come up in the planning meetings?

I thought a lot of the footage looked familiar and then I remembered that back in the day tour DVDs were a thing and my friend had bought the Woodstock 99 DVD when it came out and we used to watch it religiously. Somehow all the mayhem didn’t make the DVD

I would love to see a documentary about the clean up project. When you have an event that gets out of hand and you have to call someone to come clean up thousands of acres of raw sewage, a few burnt out cars and exploded trucks, and a bunch of festival event stuff like fences and scaffolding that have been torn down a wrecked by a mob - who do you call? Where do they even start and what do you do with all this potentially toxic junk? Now THAT’S a documentary I want to see!

2 Likes

You find a guy who knows a guy who hires a bunch of low wage workers and treats them like another part of the trash.