The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

No need imo. Probably better going in cold than having just read the storyboard.

I am generally not a fan of ā€œletā€™s set up a situation where weird/dumb/racist rubes do hilarious stuffā€ comedy. Like the Sasha Baron Cohen oeuvre. The meta elements of the new Nathan show make it much more interesting.

3 Likes

More discovery casualties.

One thing that is likely gone as well is the ā€œHouse Partyā€ reboot that was supposed to debut on HBO Max last month and is no longer on the release schedule.

Read More: Every Show And Movie That Has Been Quietly Removed From HBO Max So Far

Motherfucking fuck

Only movie on this list Iā€™ve seen is ā€œAn American Pickleā€, which was terrible. Only series Iā€™ve seen is ā€œRunā€, which wasnā€™t awful but certainly wasnā€™t good.

Agreed. Didnā€™t re-read either.

Watching this Discovery guy trying to tank HBOMax is kind of amazing

2 Likes

I think fielderā€™s number 1 theme throughout all his work is just how crazy people in LA are. Being at the very centre of the Imperial core destroys the mind in so many funny and interesting ways.

All this talk about The Rehearsal does not make me want to watch it. I liked the take on Vox that heā€™s basically just using the show as therapy to get over his divorce.

3 Likes

Same. Sounds like something I would not enjoy at all. Like cringe comedy, but worse.

3 Likes

I have seen some clips that were funny and some I couldnā€™t watch.

1 Like

This show sounds exhausting and emotionally draining, think Iā€™ll stick to watching the dumb horny vampires show.

5 Likes

That seems impossible.

The Rehearsal is far less laugh out loud pee your pants cringe comedy and far more insane art piece from a man who has so mastered cringe comedy that he has teanscended past it.

If youre afraid that watching this is going to give you that uncomfortable, squirmy, have to watch through your fingers style of comedy, im here to let you know you are way wrong. The absurd layers of the last episode made me think about comedy in a way I never have before.

Its a masterpiece. I highly recommend anyone with reservations to try it. You are absolutely missing out if you dont.

6 Likes

Ive heard this same thing multiple times, and I can see why it holds. Goody brought up the smoking episode of NFY and I think that really is apt. Thats also likely the least crinegy of all the NFY episodes.

Even if thats true, its brilliant. Hes gotten HBO to pay millions of dollars for a personal therapy project? Thats a master of his craft

1 Like

NFY often was far more cringey. I enjoyed it but skipped through some of the stuff I found too awkward.

The Rehersal doesnā€™t get nearly as bad in my opinion. It might be wore in the aggregate as Nathan isnā€™t just giving dumb business ideas now but actively messing with peopleā€™s real lives. However, in the episodes themselves you do feel like for the most part Nathan is genuinely trying to help people and itā€™s more a meta joke about him being awkward.

1 Like

I agree with this. But I donā€™t fault anyone for not wanting self referential transcendental absurdist comedy on a Thursday night and would rather watch NCIS.

2 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. I have never been big into art exhibits, but I got the chance to see Van Goghā€™s self portrait in Chicago and it was this amazing thing that made me look at art differently. Those things where I stand in awe of them and change my view of a thing completely is worthy of high praise and recommendation.

This is the show where I have spent the most time with my mouth open in disbelief.

1 Like

I agree with all of this. Like I said, I canā€™t do the straight-up cringey stuff, and this isnā€™t that. Iā€™m not like ā€œthis is the greatest thing Iā€™ve ever seenā€ like some here, but Iā€™m definitely interested to see where this is going, especially after the last episode.

1 Like