The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

The Sandman is an American fantasy drama superhero streaming television series

I hate fantasy. I hate superheroes. But I guess I have to give it a try.

2 Likes

Fantasy and superheroes is a pretty terrible description of what Neil Gaiman does. I’d go with mythical worlds and stories overlapping our present.

4 Likes

I mean, you’re all talking about Sandman, and yet somehow NOT talking about the best show on television.

1 Like
1 Like

I’d add drawing heavily on certain aspects 8f folklore and pagan and non-pagan religions. And some just wildly imaginative (a dream of a thousand cats, not in this season).

Only seen the first two so far, basically world building imo. Promising though, very much so.

First 6 are pretty much this, it’s like a 5 hour pilot. Second half is more tightly plotted. Tbf, this is an issue with the source material as well. On the one hand they’re maybe sticking too close to it, in the other it does set up things that will pay off over another 4 or 5 seasons so if it gets renewed it’s worth it.

Was the whole point of Fielder being gone for 9 years to force Angela to relive her childhood trauma but now from her mom’s perspective? Seems genius, but pretty harsh if she didn’t fully know what she had signed up for (seems likely as that is pretty much what they did in the last episode for the gold digger subject). That said, she seemed to handle it without any issues. I’m also curious if Fielder added that to her rehearsal based on the conversation at the start of the episode, or if this was the plan all along.

too lazy to check this thread, but binged 5 episodes of Julia from hbo max. it is VERY good. like mrs maisel s1, except not at all over the top.

1 Like

Rehearsal is insane.

2 Likes

Agreed, re: source material. Unfortunately for the series, the first book (preludes & nocturnes) is the weakest one imo. With some highlights - iirc Gaiman said that he found his voice with the sound of her wings. Big payoff later though. I’ve seen Gaiman talk about plans for moving the show if Netflix shuts it down, so hopeful we’ll see all of it filmed eventually.

this nathan show is weird

1 Like

Binged it and currently rewatching as German-dubbed version; and it’s the best comics adaption I know (where I also read the source, which in this case I cannot recommend highly enough).

The things I didn’t like that much I also didn’t like that much in the books; like the Diner stuff. In general, the stories are very diverse, and so are the episodes; you can expect not every episode/plot being for you. Some stories are about ordinary people, some are full of celestial beings doing the most crazy-ass ****.

What blows me away is how some of the changes they made w.r.t. the books extend and refine the story even more, like for example Jessamy, who only appears in flashbacks in the source; iirc it isn’t even explained what happened to her. Her trying to free Morpheus at the beginning of the story and being killed by Alex Burgess provides the motive for Morpheus’ later interaction with him. The royal exorcism stuff wasn’t in the books either but folds in so well with the later hell stuff.

If they keep this up in later seasons, we’re in for a treat! :vince3: Especially with the hell stuff… :vince4:

1 Like

Don’t mind the diversity at all, just think that the later material is, on, average, better. Don’t know how many times I read the comics beyond “a lot”. Great to hear fellow fans loving the adaption.

Life events conspired to make me unable to watch more than two, still eager as a four year old on Xmas for the rest!

I actually envy you for being able to read this freshly with the knowledge that you can watch an excellent TV-adoption of it later! :transmet_smiley:

1 Like

I agree with that anyway; also read it several times and pretty mush all spinoffs like “The Dreaming”. Did you have a dream where you visited the Palace in the center of Dreams? I had one but the only thing I remember is that I was there lol. :transmet_smiley:

1 Like

Haha no, never

So I should read Volumes 1 and 2 to get caught up for The Sandman? I know next to nothing about it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/morgan_sung/status/1556021326527156226

4 Likes

Lol, based on everything happening with WBD this week, looks like its working.

https://twitter.com/brofromanother/status/1554907795161579520?s=20&t=SHg5pZH_-UR3uoXffNKYww

5 Likes

Omg some of these are really good.

https://twitter.com/rileyharrisASP/status/1556218587098288128?s=20&t=SHg5pZH_-UR3uoXffNKYww

1 Like