The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Which is the superior program?
  • Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul

0 voters

Chalk me up as a fan of that episode. I had to re-watch the start of s5e1 though because I was also thrown by the change of actor.

2 Likes

Gonna be tough to top the Watchmen (novel) but you have my attention.

I think BCS had the potential to be better than BrBa, but S5 and S6 have left me underwhelmed.

I never really understood the entire Gene arc. If Jimmy bought a new identity and still has plenty of money, why does he need to work at a soul crushing, mall food store?

He could certainly be living a low-key, anonymous life without working.

Or was he broke at the end of BB?

I believe the idea is that the feds were able to lock down all his laundering schemes and the majority of the cash he had on hand went to the cleaner.

1 Like

Finished Yellowjackets

8/10

1 Like

When is S2

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve even started filming season 2 yet.

Filming starts next month, hopefully S2 starts airing by end of year.

YJ has killed The Wilds for me.

1 Like

The Chuck aluminum foil stuff wasnā€™t great.

1 Like

canā€™t wait.

Also, if you havenā€™t seen Good Omens on Amazon, i highly recommend that one, too. Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite modern authors.

1 Like

Watchmen and the Sandman is often mentioned in the same breath when it comes to legendary graphical novels, with good reason imo. If they do a even a half-decent adaption, itā€™ll be worth watching.

1 Like

Yep, watched it and loved it. GREAT casting for that one as well. Wish I could say the same for American Gods, which is probably my favorite novel of his. And agree, Gaiman is a freaking genius. Ocean at the end of the lane, Coraline, Anansi Boys and more are all great.

1 Like

I, for one, am enjoying season 2 of Only Murders in the Building. Itā€™ll have to stick the landing, and Iā€™ve not yet seen anything as brilliant as the deaf episode of S1, but itā€™s delivered on the delight and intrigue of S1 at least this far for me.

Not a TV or movie, but one of my absolute favorite audio books ever is Neil Gaiman reading his Norse Mythology adaptation (anthology? retellings? not sure what the correct word is). Heā€™s such a great narrator and his delivery really drives home why myths are an oral tradition and should be experienced as such.

1 Like

Tried to watch ā€œthe rehearsalā€ with my gf (weā€™ve never seen a Nathan Fielder show before). She found it tough to watch, called it ā€œcold and inhumanā€ (also added the slightly uncalled for ā€œI have enough socially awkward characters at homeā€). I however liked it a lot.

We then tried to watch ā€œNathan for youā€ and bailed after 2 eps. It is indeed very funny, but the cringe factor was unbearable (how do you watch this and not feel horrible for the business owners ?)

My BB/BCS hot take is that both are ok but neither is top tier.
I think I like bcs better, but bb also came out at a time where the quality of TV was higher so i might feel differently watching it today.

4 Likes

Used to think it was BCS. Still might be but man that last episode was a dud. Might be the worst episode in the BrBa/BCS universe. Canā€™t imagine the Omaha storyline being wrapped up in 3 episodes.

BrBa got better as it went on while BCS has fallen off overall as it progressed.

1 Like

On this weeks BCS did anyone catch how Carol Burnettā€™s character alluded to her sonā€™s troubled history in Albuquerque without giving any details? Makes we wonder if they are setting up the next spin off series about how he came to be a cabdriver in Omaha.

Itā€™s a worthy successor to S1, although a bit less than. Iā€™m kinda rolling my eyes at the Scooby Doo secret passages, and I honestly canā€™t remember the last time Iā€™ve seen a book of matches, so Iā€™m not sure what was going on there unless itā€™s supposed to be some meta level continuation of the running gag about how old Martin and Short are.