Legit text thread of mine from earlier this evening:
Christine is an all-time great TV villain.
amazing piece on Jeremy Strong being as delusional as Kendall irl
When I told Strong that I, too, thought of the show as a dark comedy, he looked at me with incomprehension and asked, “In the sense that, like, Chekhov is comedy?” No, I said, in the sense that it’s funny.
Man that episode of Succession. The Tom/Shiv scene was so brutal, the Shiv/mom scene was even worse, then the Logan/Kendall scene was even worse. To say nothing of the final few scenes. Amazing TV, some crazy shit is coming next week.
I could watch an entire show of Greg awkwardly trying to flirt
Jeremy Strong and I went to same high school, a fact I am now less interested in sharing with people!
It’s only like five bucks a month. I subscribed for a month just to watch For All Mankind, which is a pretty good show.
Highly enjoyed. Wondering when my apple plus expires. I don’t remember when I upgraded.
I prolly will do the same. What’s the downside of registering for a service just for a month a couple times of year to catch-up/binge their best stuff
He’s even younger than Jeremy Strong so we missed each other by quite a bit. On the other side I missed both members of They Might Be Giants and Mike Gordon from Phish.
I was really disappointed with the first couple episodes of Wheel of Time. They chopped up so much stuff and skipped over other stuff that it made me go back and read the first book to see if I was remembering it correctly (it’s been probably 20 years since I read it). And for all the talk about production value and how much they were putting into it, it felt like something I would have expected to see on the SciFi Channel circa 2000. The way the depicted Shadar Logoth was criminal, imo. That being said the last episode it got a little better and the way they are handling the magic isn’t bad. I’m still going to watch, but I hope they don’t keep butchering parts of the story line.
It’s not just the $10, it’s feeling like a chump when I forget to cancel. FWIW I don’t torrent, I just don’t watch more stuff.
Man the Beatles thing is something else. I’m going to put a few reactions in spoilers, not because they’re really that spoilery, but I’m glad I watched this fresh and not knowing much about it at all.
-
The oldest of the Beatles when they recorded this was 30, which is pretty amazing.
-
There’s a lot on the internet about how this shows that Yoko didn’t break up the Beatles. And sure, she didn’t. But man she really did hover quite close, especially when they’re still on the big stage. Clearly the other Beatles were respectful of her and John’s relationship, but that sort of thing is going to have a big effect on any group of people.
-
I didn’t know anything about Billy Preston, his story is very tragic and fascinating: Billy Preston - Wikipedia
-
George’s angst is palpable. I’m going to watch “George Harrison: Living in the Material World” again, which I remember being excellent.
-
Ringo is awesome.
re beatles
i gained a lot of respect for paul. super impressed with him having that much reflection on himself at age 29.
growing up i’d have to say i was more a john fan, without really knowing who contributed what to any songs. but in this doc, john came off as an annoying dick a lot.
Yoko was annoying but they were almost certainly going to split up anyway.
Doc combined with this Playboy interview make it pretty clear.
http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1980.jlpb.beatles.html
Yoko didn’t break up the Beatles, John did… but he did it because he got to the point in his life where he was sick of the grind and wanted to spend all his time with Yoko… which is like 75% natural growing up + 25% John’s obsessive personality such that he couldn’t maintain a healthy balance of band is now just my day job and still have plenty of time to see Yoko outside work.
As John says in the Playboy interview what is abnormal is the “four [dudes] sleeping in the same room, practically in the same bed, in the same truck, living together night and day, eating, shitting and pissing together!”
Succession is in elite tier territory (BB, MM, TS, GOT) at this point.
“Life’s not knights on a horseback. It’s a number on a piece of paper. It’s a fight for a knife in the mud.”
A really interesting three sentences because it goes from not knights on horseback. Then to the sterile, it’s a number on a piece of paper. But then back to the visceral it’s a fight for a knife in the mud, which is often how fights between knights on horseback ended, with the two armored men dismounted and struggling to shove a dagger into the other guy’s armpit.
But then knights just as often end up as numbers on paper, ransomed for fortunes after they surrender rather than being knifed in the mud.
I’m enjoying it in the same vein as “The Witcher”. Existing IP that I know nothing about and go along for the ride.
Enjoyed Foundation similarly That did strike me as better looking.

