The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Sure!

What of the week would be best? Fridays probably best for me, but could possibly make others work that aren’t Tuesday or Thursday.

Grunching.

Any good new shows in the last 6 months?

Friday is great. More people likely to participate then too.

Weekend best for me but I’m watching movies erryday so no worries whenever.

garfield house kills me. it’s a total party house

https://www.the-solute.com/tag/best-tv-2020/

2 Likes

You already have an event for this Friday, but proposal for future Fridays:

January 22 - One Night in Miami (Amazon Prime)
January 29 - The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)

Those are (or will be) available and stone locks for many Oscar nominations.

On February 3, the Golden Globe nominations are out and then we can re-calibrate.

Others that are or will be available on streaming services and should get some nominations:
Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
Mank (Netflix)
Soul (Disney+)
Sound of Metal (Amazon)
Judas and the Black Messiah (HBO Max from Feb 12 through Mar 12)
Malcolm & Marie (Netflix starting Feb 5)

Add in others that may get picked up, surprises nominations, and maybe a documentary or two and there will should be enough for every Friday until Oscar night if we want to do that.

1 Like

Why don’t we just change the Friday schedule to Oscar Friday? Found footage movies can wait until later.

1 Like

What about Pieces of a Woman for this Friday? Dying to watch this. Heard the first 30 minutes will knock you off your feet.

There’s talk that Shia Laboof may cost this movie a chance at an Oscar, but I think that’s unlikely.

1 Like

Count me in.

9PM Eastern start? (I can’t much before that)

Yes, 9pm EST.

Baby of the Year is clearly #1.

YouTube has been streaming Key & Peele episodes for the last 12 hours.

Uh oh

thread

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1348897002885668870

I dont really know anything about Sex and the City. Did it have any meaningful artistic merit? It was kind of marketed as superficial so I assumed that’s the case.

Controversial!

I mean… it describes a particular group of people’s lives so there’s some artistic merit, but how much I wouldn’t like to say. It certainly came across to me as a bit frothy but I guess if you liked it that was part of its appeal.

I wouldn’t compare it with the assault on machismo and the male psyche of The Sopranos but then I’m not the best person to judge.

Operation Odessa is face-melting

1 Like

The show was homophobic and transphobic and all sorts of things. I find it hard to watch now.

But it was revolutionary at the time. You have to imagine it in the context of when it came out. It was empowering to see women just be women. To see them gather for brunch and casually talk about things polite society assumes are locker room talk for boys and off limits for girls. It mattered a great deal for representation of women even as it delivered problematic representation for other people.

Having said that, the movies are terrible and talk of a revival makes me want to barf.

3 Likes

Missed this one, just caught a random clip. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film an approval rating of 100% with an average rating of a 7.47/10.

This fight scene with Shredder promises a Batman movie for the ages.

And then this scene when the Turtles first meet Batman…

The choreography and character development from the fight scenes looks too good to pass up. This looks great in unexpectedly subtle ways. The fight breaks into a restaurant, where two women are in the midst of a painful breakup. That’s the kind of casual representation I like to see!

To the Marvel-ous Monday watch party schedule this one will go.

Not exactly on topic, but it’s television and it’s funny:

https://twitter.com/wetheirishpod/status/1348715262552510465

2 Likes

I only recently learned that Jared Harris is his son.