The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

I used to be mad at the first minute of every Battlestar Galactica because they’d tease all the big moments of that episode up front. But I always forgot them by the time they came in the context of the episode.

Same with Columbo

2 Likes

Michael McKean was Lenny from Laverne and Shirley ? And Michael Jordan was Wallace from The Wire?

Mind blown…

1 Like

8 eps into (10 ep single series) Haunting of Hill House, not a new show but don’t think it’s been discussed ITT. I’m not normally a horror watcher but enjoying this. Girlfriend same on both counts. Not particularly gruelling horror, just a lot of psychologically tense moments. The horror is a metaphor for childhood trauma in general and the way it tends to haunt people through their lives. I’ll let you know if it sticks the landing. Would recommend to people who normally don’t venture into horror.

1 Like

The second season Bly Manor is pretty good too. RLM did a half in the bag episode on both I seem to recall you were a fan of theirs.

Risky, no shame here. In a world of infinite choice having someone watch everything and bring you back the good stuff is super valuable. So cheers!

1 Like

Do you watch shows while you work?

1 Like

How did you know??? :grinning:

Half the day, I am writing or helping someone write their own stuff, so I’m listening to music, beach sounds, or silence. But the job I gave myself depends on me having tons of story references and examples, so the other half of the day, I read and watch a lot.

I’m prob fooling myself on how important it is to watch so much. I just love a good story. I even like bad stories if we can talk about why they’re bad.

Some days I might get through two or three movies a day, three or four books a week. I otherwise live a very simple, insulated life and only recently realized in middle age that the rest of you aren’t watching or reading just as much.

I get paid okay for a job I made for myself out of compulsively consuming and creating stories, so I am posting more reviews here out of a desire to use my talents in better service to my community. Right or wrong, storytelling defines my life, and it brings me fulfillment to take my eye off the next paycheck and instead share the pleasure of watching movies with a small group of friends and acquaintances.

9 Likes

Any chance you saw this one? Been meaning to check it out on Hulu.

2016 was the year depravity and ignorance was explained by conservative pundit and memoirist J.D. Vance—a man who believes he is qualified to criticize the entire culture of Appalachia and the Rust Belt (hillbillies) because he is from, well, a screwed-up family in Ohio. After his book Hillbilly Elegy—not simply a memoir but a criticism of a “culture in crisis”— hit the bestseller list and university reading circuit, and after the statistically inaccurate “Trump Country” journalism, I’d say a mighty large portion of Appalachia was waiting for someone to call BS.

That’s where Hillbilly comes in. Directed by Emmy-nominated filmmakers Sally Rubin and Ashley York, the documentary follows self-described “progressive feminist” York back to her hometown of Meathouse Hollow, Kentucky, in the weeks leading up to the 2016 presidential election. The film is part Election 2016 documentary, part cultural study of how stereotypes create detrimental political and economic policy. Both of these threads are supported by interviews with a remarkable, diverse set of Appalachians: scholars bell hooks and Barbara Ellen Smith; Deliverance actors Ronny Cox and Billy Redden; Coal Miner’s Daughter director Michael Apted; and activists/writers Frank X Walker, Crystal Good, and Silas House.

1 Like

Yeah Risky I hope it didn’t come off as me attacking or judging you. I’m just impressed by the size and girth of your viewing experience.

Do you actually pay full attention to all of these or are you kind of half paying attention while scrolling the internet or doing other work?

1 Like

No offense taken, I was playing back at you.

Full attention to new stuff. Depends on the rewatch, but I’ve started putting the phone down for those too. It’s crazy how much there is to notice if I give something my full attention, so if I am going to read/post here, I usually hit pause and come back when I’m done giving Unstuck my full attention.

All bets are off if it’s a stinker from the first five minutes.

They posted a “very special” extra episode of Euphoria. It’s just Rue and her sponsor in a coffee shop. I love the sponsor but it gets very maudlin. Rating: meh-

Ty. Loved s1 but will just wait for s2.

Goddamn. No idea if the series will rival Breaking Bad, but this is the most commanding performance of Bryan Cranston’s career.

And the show itself is riveting. From the first second, you will be on the edge of your seat. I felt almost manic from the immediate intensity before anything even happens. And then when shit starts to go down, any chance the show takes to breathe feels like a betrayal. This crisis must be attended to NOW.

Premise is simple. A hit and run accident sets in motion a spiral of events.

Awww shit. I am going to obtain this using super lawful means and watch the hell out of it

1 Like

Gogogogogogo

Also goddamn I say goddamn, this looks like an excellent movie to tide us over until The Boys s3. Comes out Dec 11 on VOD at $13.99.

In a new twist on the superhero story, Mortimer outmaneuvers “edgy” shows like Watchmen and The Boys with a new wrinkle in the genre’s cape: WHAT IF A SUPERHERO WAS REAL BUT NO ONE BELIEVED THEM?

Archenemy is about the unlikely bond between two individuals: Hamster, who yearns to escape hood life by working as a crime blogger for a vapid Gen-Z lifestyle website; and Max Fist, an alcoholic and crystal meth-addicted homeless man who claims to be a stranded superhero from another dimension. Meanwhile, Hamster’s sister, Indigo (Zolee Griggs), gets wrapped up in a criminal underworld that forces Max Fist to spring into action without his superpowers.

Sounds closer to what Hancock was supposed to be.

I was a big fan of Wilfred so when you make a show with mad shit happening to elijah wood, you half hooked me already. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency is 5 bags of popcorn

2 Likes

LetThemFight.gif but lol Nolan jfc

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1336109484113092608?s=20

Won’t somebody please think of the important movie stars?!?

2 Likes

“Warner Bros. had an incredible machine for getting a filmmaker’s work out everywhere, both in theaters and in the home, and they are dismantling it as we speak. They don’t even understand what they’re losing. Their decision makes no economic sense, and even the most casual Wall Street investor can see the difference between disruption and dysfunction.”

Nolan seems to not understand that we are in a pandemic?

How do theaters survive this supposedly onetime, excused-by-the-pandemic move? Genies are hard to put back in the bottle — and no one believes Warners intended this to be temporary, anyway. What damage will be done to exhibitors by training customers that if they sit on their sofas, the biggest movies will come?

Which is…what already happens?

Much of this outrage will surely be mitigated if WarnerMedia is prepared to write big checks to all the profit participants in the films that have been moved. “It’s a critical time for them, at the highest level, to make this right with the talent,” says one rep. But agents say the guidance that’s been provided so far suggests that the company isn’t planning to offer what is now called “Wonder Woman money,” in honor of the rich deal the studio gave profit participants in Wonder Woman 1984 when that film was moved to HBO Max.

Fucking with the only upcoming tentpole I care about tho

Netflix offered something north of $225 million for the rights to Godzilla vs. Kong, which has seen its release date moved from March 2020 to November to May 2021. Though Legendary financed 75 percent of the movie, Warners had the power to block the sale and did. Legendary asked whether the studio would then give it a deal to stream the movie on HBO Max — and got no clear answer until its executives woke up one December morning to find that the movie was going day-and-date on the service without the benefit of a negotiation. Legendary’s even more expensive picture, Dune, is getting the same treatment.

Dune director Denis Villeneuve is said to be among those who felt most strongly that a traditional big-screen release was essential for his film.

Fine fine but it’s just Dune/Denis getting hit, right? No. No, not Lin-Manuel and Chu :frowning:

Chu, who along with Lin-Manuel Miranda went through an intense courtship with multiple suitors for In the Heights and who had turned down a huge Netflix offer for Crazy Rich Asians because he cherishes the communal theatrical experience, told an associate he was “shell-shocked” after being informed of the Warners decision.

That really is a loss. It’s one thing for the next Avengers movie to get dropped onto D+, but these movies from people like Chu and Lin-Manuel were intended to shatter barriers and establish a new theatrical precedent.

Still, those movies are likely to shatter streaming records recently set by the acclaimed Happiest Season.

1 Like

I thought I watched a lot of tv but I had only seen Better Call Saul and The Great on that list.

1 Like