The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

Watch party for sure!!!

https://twitter.com/WonderWomanFilm/status/1329216784411414528

1 Like

@RiskyFlush and other interested parties, UK Utopia is back on Prime in the US.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07TS9XBZH/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_Tco32S_8_4

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1329250972498079747?s=19

Looks decent.

2 Likes

!!!

Much appreciated. I will start watching this tonight :popcorn:

The more fully formed Billions review.

I said it was like Suits, but sadly Suits was more interesting and had more heart.

This must have been Paul Giamatti cashing in because this show clearly loves the hedge fund side of the story way more. All the hedge fund guys, down to receptionists get personalities, story lines, quirks, etc. The show also revels in soaking in opulence with Axe driving fancy cars to drive fancy cars, taking helicopters just to take helicopters, etc.

Meanwhile the NYSD is just a collection of plot points. Beyond Giamatti speechifying to rally the troops the show doesnā€™t really care about the people who work there. They randomly get tips of financial malfeasance and pursue cases and the only parts of the case you see if the parts that are necessary to move the hedge fund side along. They do talk about their history and motivations but itā€™s a case of the writers being too bored to show you so theyā€™ll just havetheir characters tell you their motivations and history.

The only exception is the second in command who is written a bit more fully and a short cute story line of him and another assistant dating which involved a night of them, being so straight laced, going wild by shooting illegal fire works.

Shout out to the secondary characters

Wags, the actor who plays him always has a lot of charisma.

Hall, whoā€™s played with flat menace and at one point is asked was sexual quirks he has and says something like you donā€™t want to know and then a few scenes later a little person hooker is seen leaving his house.

The hedge fund lawyer who is the killer at the end of True Detective season 1 and is creepy looking, even in a suit.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll go one past season 2. Itā€™s just not that interesting. Axe is a drama black hole because most of the problems involve him potentially losing ethereal amounts of money and the solutions to his problems usually involve throwing money at it. Chuck is more interesting but heā€™s literally failed at everything for 2 seasons.

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/1329063624204300293?s=19

3 Likes

Godless was pretty great and ends with one of the most epic gun battles Iā€™ve ever seen.

Also:

2 Likes

Watched the first episode of How To with John Wilson last night and enjoyed. Would recommend for fans of Nathan Fielder or Conner Oā€™Malley.

2 Likes

I watched Utopia UK version with my bf. Quickly realised I had already watched the first few episodes another time (obviously ages ago because I had forgotten all about it). Really disappointed they didnā€™t continue with it. My bf is now watching the US version for some closure but I am holding onto my bitterness and resentment that they didnā€™t finish it and boycotting the US one. Only rave reviews from my bf will convince me to watch it. I can really hold a grudge!

Now I have finished The Crown (really good) what should I watch on netflix? Already have watched and enjoyed Godless.

You might like The Tudors?

I loved The Tudors!

caught up through all 4 EP of The Undoing, looking forward to the rest. Solid cliffhanger on EP4 as Risky said.

2 Likes

The BBC has this documentary series called ā€œMonarchyā€ that has a crazy intense narrator, you might like it:

1 Like

All BBC history narrators answer to Simon Schama

Utopia UK does not appear to be free on Prime for me?

One thing Iā€™ll say about 2000-2020 is that itā€™s given me an understanding of why people who had lived through 1930-1945 would like their entertainment simple, bland, and uplifting.

2 Likes

I loved Godless, didnā€™t make the connection to QG.

Thereā€™s absolutely no chance that the killer is not

Kidmanā€™s blond mom friend who it wound up that Grant slept with

right?

1 Like