The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

This must be why it didn’t get much hype then. I’ll just put it on as background noise while I play EU4 I guess

Not any kind of expert on either period but the Last Czar commentary was abysmal, just like tabloid level sensationalism and oversimplified characterizations. Assume the Ottaman one was equally as bad, but I know even less about that so I can’t really judge. I feel like docudramas have potential as a format but I can’t name any good ones. I saw one on Charlemagne on Prime I believe that was 'eh fine, maybe because it had some German scholars on it.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/DrewBarrymoreTV/status/1319413224349990916

What I don’t get is why they needed actual Turks to play the Ottomans in this spot if it’s just a documentary? Reading up on it, it seems like they either went out of their way to cast actors from Turkey in the name of authenticity, or because it was a Turkish production which would have made sense. This could have all been filmed in Georgia it seems based on goofy’s description. (I still haven’t watched it fwiw)

I think they have real Turkish scholars speaking throughout, so it could be a joint venture of some sort with a Turkish production co.

I’d say check it out if you’re interested in that event, you’ll know pretty quickly if it’s worth your time. I dropped it halfway through I think, memory is shot.

1 Like

missed the watch party here, but starting the new Borat movie now. will report back later.

3 Likes

So I’m watching this Twilight Zone episode about a world where awkward teenage girls are coerced by their parents and doctors into undergoing plastic surgery that transforms them into hot conformist Fox News babes. In 2020 it feels totally like a spot-on metaphor for gay conversion therapy even though that certainly wasn’t what the writers were thinking about at the time. Anyway, it’s interesting how good sci-fi can be reinterpreted and repurposed.

2 Likes

So now I’m watching a TZ episode where a gang of motorcycle-riding, leather-wearing toughguys move into the suburbs and set up a ham radio rig and the middle aged dude next door is totally freaked out not because they are a biker gang but because they are ham radio guys who might be also fucking with the electrical grid. It’s straight-up cyberpunk shit 40 years ahead of its time.

“Now you boys don’t happen to be ham radio operators, do you?” is an actual line from this show. I think we will eventually find out that the bikers are space aliens or some shit. This is basically one of the best shows ever, right up there with Breaking Bad and Dicktown.

2 Likes

Damn, the cyber-beatnik hacked the bus just so he could swoop in and give the hot girl a ride the library on his bike. This is great stuff.

1 Like

Loving your reviews for episodes of note.

I plan on doing an AMA thread when I’m done watching the whole series.

Right now, it turns out the beatniks are basically the Borg except one of them has fallen in love with an Earth girl. The Borg bikers have a big computer in their basement.

Edit: and also they are poisoning the water supply? This episode is wild.

1 Like

The beatnik biker spaceman ham radio hackers are doing bio-terrorism but they have also learned about love. Fuck, this is the best show ever.

1 Like

Will you continue through the entire series for the recent episodes? :popcorn:

So the ending was abrupt and it just sucked. I can understand why this is not one of the famous TZ episodes, very unsatisfying conclusion. I would totally have watched an entire movie about these proto-cyberpunk dudes plotting bioterrorism and falling in love.Still, the whole thing was so far ahead of its time it’s just nuts.

1 Like

If you’re worried about the Supreme Court stealing the election, I highly suggest you don’t watch 537 Votes On HBO. Our political system is a fucking joke.

4 Likes

Has Gomorrah been discussed here? The guy is in Fargo and made me remember how good that series was. Watch it if you like Sopranos and can handle Italian or reading subtitles.

ETA: It’s not on Netflix anymore. Putlocker comments say the subtitles aren’t working maybe. It’s in Italian. Fucking good though.

2 Likes

Gomorrah is fantastic.

1 Like

I don’t want to start a thing here but I enjoyed it more than Sopranos by quite a bit I think.

2 Likes

I think it’s better than Sopranos. Gomorrah really is top tier tv and I did enjoy Sopranos.

1 Like

I watched a few standalone X Files episodes last night… i’m now rewatching the entire series for the 4th time.

3 Likes