The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

nah its two words, it might not mean holy shit lol, its an excalamation or an oh my god, two words actaully, dona beni or something?

mama mia!

3 Likes

Beni sounds like it might be ā€œgoodā€ in Latin. Dona could be the Latin verb ā€œto giveā€, but also sounds like ā€œDominaā€ which would be mistress (female master of the house). Iā€™ll have to rewatch the episodes. I remember ā€œDominaā€ being used a lot because Octavianā€™s mother is a prominent character in the first season.

Does Titus Pullo say it? Heā€™s got a lot of sweet curses if I recall. Roman infantry language was pretty salty.

i think mostly Vorenus says, maybe only 2-3 times in the first season.

They rarely used Latin phrases, only one I can think of is when Antony said que bruta figura when Cato calls him out for wearing his soldiers cloak in Rome.

Di omnes meaning gods! Or all the gods! Maybe but I dont think thatā€™s it

Iā€™ve been watching the show Pose on netflix, itā€™s a drama that follows characters in the LGBTQ community in NYC in the 80s. The characters are all pretty compelling, Iā€™d recommend it if youā€™re even a little interested in the setting.

1 Like

NPR: Golden State Killer Suspect Pleads Guilty To More Than A Dozen Murders.

1 Like

ā€œplot committedā€ made me lol

1 Like

Disclosure doc on Netflix. A look at Hollywoodā€™s depiction of transgender people and the impact of this on American culture. Couldnā€™t turn away from this for a second and will probably watch it again.

Just an aside, but Laverne Cox discusses when she was first told about Orange is the New Black. Her agent described it as ā€œa web series.ā€ And it is!!! Itā€™s so strange to me to think how quickly our public consciousness (or at least mine LOL) has shifted from thinking of a web series as a Wayneā€™s World kind of production to assuming a web/streaming series is more likely to win an Emmy than broadcast or cable.

1 Like

Working my way through the first three episodes of season 2 of Doom Patrol. Itā€™s a weird and wonderful show.

1 Like

Donā€™t worry, thereā€™s also plenty of explicit teen sex.

Heā€™s elusive!

Yeah I was pretty sure he was gonna get got, but I wasnā€™t sure how or who or which scene. Shane is on the lam and I have one episode to go. Prob gonna finish it tonight. If that prick survives Iā€™m not gonna be happy.

1 Like

I watched this last month. Itā€™s pretty good.

on s1e6 of Dark. liking it enough so far. feels kinda like twin peaks but with zero laughs. idk why i was expecting laughs, i knew it was german

this shit is classic ā€œdonā€™t leave your houseā€. i would never go spelunking. iā€™d never go into a cave. if i dropped my wallet into a cave and i could fully see my wallet in the cave, i still wouldnā€™t go in. fuck caves, man. youā€™re gonna crawl in this little ass space and start opening doors and shit? how are you gonna open that door back up with your feet? youā€™re fucked, kid. you never shoulda went in there. thereā€™s no indication that there could be anything good in there. so dumb.

1 Like

Thatā€™s Normal People.

Potential Dark watchers:
If youā€™re in the mood for world building, time travel, mind bending, wtf is going on - Dark is for you. In the end Iā€™m just glad itā€™s over and I donā€™t have to think about it anymore.

1 Like

Same episode that Iā€™m up to now with Dark after giving it a second chance. Iā€™m enjoying it, even though the soundtrack seems to be all songs from that bit in Dawsonā€™s Creek where they stared glumly out of windows.

3 Likes

I hope it improves after E4. Like beetlejuice said itā€™s a German Twin Peaks but with an added mysterious hooded character and time travel. Wooooooohh.

Also some of the supposedly 1986 ephemera are off by years - Rubikā€™s cubes were well gone by then - which always annoys me.

Also, thisā€¦

Mikkel turns up in 1986 at his to-be-fatherā€™s doorstep, claiming to live there, and has a conversation with him, but 30 years later his father thinks nothing of it. wtf?

And while Iā€™m at it, thisā€¦

Also annoyingly, the series doesnā€™t acknowledge the standard refutation of time travel ie killing one of your ancestors.