The Television Streaming Thread: Now With Felonies

I thought the first season of Dark was good but at the end I think not great and I’m not totally sure I’m going for season 2.

Its not, its a tiny part of it.

S2 >> S1 for sure.

2 Likes

Idk if Dark is good, but I watched the recap on the Netflix autoplay homepage and damn, that looks awesome

I love Community so much, but it is certainly problematic. For most of its runtime, the two black characters were an athletic, dumb guy and a sassy, unwed mother, Jesus freak.

What bothers me most about that episode in particular is not the blackface (which is at least referred to as a hate crime) but the notion that showing a suicidal person a good time fixes everything.

1 Like

It’s really funny they try to originally pass off Donald Glover as a football player when he’s like 5’7 140.

3 Likes

That part of his character made so little sense to me. It’s virtually discarded after the first episode, and then nothing about his character ever makes me think oh right, he was a jock.

Their scrappy version of The Princess Bride leans into its continuity lapses, utilizes absurd household props and back-of-the-closet costumes, and deploys multiple castings of the same roles to show that in a true fantasy, anyone can play anything.

“I just thought, Can we remake an entire movie at home? And I had seen that a fan-made Star Wars had been done. I just started reaching out to actors I knew, saying, ‘Is this something you’d want to do?’ And the response was kind of immediate and fast. It was like, ‘Oh—that sounds like fun. ’”

That’s Josh Gad playing the little boy with a cold who is reluctantly told the swashbuckling story by his grandfather. If you’re wondering what the director of the original movie, Rob Reiner, thinks of this riff on his work—that’s him playing the grandfather in this sequence.

3 Likes

??

It is the central point of the 6th episode.

2 Likes

I binge-watched the first season of dark and two more episodes a long time ago and walked away for a long time and then I tried to get back into it but I’m just lost. Kudos to a show that respects the audience; I’m going to have to go read a wikipedia entry or two to remind myself what’s going on.

Things are picking up now in Dark episode three. I love the 80’s set design and costumes.

1 Like

Anyone seen Wanderlust? It’s on Netflix, or at least it is here in Australia. It’s a British comedy/drama starring Toni Collette, about a middle-aged couple who decide to have an open relationship after losing interest in having sex with each other. It’s maybe a bit premature posting about it as I’m only one episode in, but I was impressed. Collette is a great actress imo and the direction, when it comes to the acting, is really good - you could see a guiding hand in the way the actors approached certain moments. The comedy isn’t overdone and it drops into tense interpersonal moments which feel very authentic. It’s not groundbreaking subject matter but so far it’s engaging. My girlfriend isn’t super amenable to the sort of scifi and so forth that I generally watch, so it’s a good thing to watch together.

Edit: Guess I may as well add a couple of duds - we tried an episode of You, which was slick but felt trashy, like an airport novel. We also watched the entirety of Godless, an 8-ep single season western which is very well reviewed, but imo it started promisingly and then got mired in tiresome cliche, I was very over it by the end and the fact that it was 8 eps was the only reason we were plot committed. (Girlfriend felt similarly on both counts btw)

1 Like

Watched the first two episodes of Dark last night and much to my alarm I discovered how racist I am.

I can’t tell most Germans apart

Interesting so far but hope it picks up from disappearing kids.

I am speaking from s2 onward. But I beg your forgiveness if this aspect was ever mentioned from then on as well. It is not how I experience the character.

Yeah there are a lot of white people to keep track of.

1 Like

Watched the newest Norm Macdonald special on Netflix.

Fantastic. Very funny

Well nevermind, just saw that the date on it is 2017.

That is not new.

Heh I haven’t seen it either

New Perry Mason tonight!

Also I’ll Be Gone In the Dark premieres tonight, it’s about Patton Oswalt’s late wife Michelle McNamara’s tracking and eventual catching of the Golden State Killer, should be interesting.

(I guess HBO is just by god not going to get with the program and will keep on releasing their shit one episode at a time)

2 Likes

been watching ROME, almost done with season one, there is a roman saying i’ve heard a few times and meant to look it up and forgot, now i can’t remember it. I’m pretty sure it means holy shit or something basically or the equivalent, anyone help me out?

1 Like

Futuo?