The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Obama spent all his political capital just to push the ACA through, and it came extremely close to getting axed. I think if you wind back the clock to 1990 and run it again there are very few outcomes where the US gets Euro-style socialized medicine by 2024.

1 Like

Because like anything it takes too long for them. Ask the religious right how starting in 1980 voting in elections began working for them and you’ll quickly see why not voting or voting 3rd party is one of the stupidest things you can do in your life. Everyone wants instant gratification and that is not how power is won especially when the other side will go to all means to suppress votes and win by cheating. More people want what the democrats offer but they can’t get them excited enough to push the suppressors and cheaters out of office. Welcome to Hollywood. Maybe if Democrats offered tax cuts…

1 Like

This isn’t in the top ten thousand of stupid things you can do in your life

5 Likes

I can’t wait for the emergence of AI and genetically modified oracles so I can finally find out if cockroaches can live in your penis.

5 Likes

*For people who post about or talk about politics. Read what John Lewis said about voting and how many people lost their lives fighting for the right to vote, while people are pontificating about things not being good enough. Is it too hard to be an activist and vote? For too many, I guess it is.

The dems have too many blocs and that makes the party often idiotic. Pelosi was the AOC of her day and people ridicule her now. Dems in Congress look nothing like the 90s and progressives in Congress are about 4 years away on the current trajectory of taking over party leadership. The whiners say not fast enough, blow it all up right near the finish line where things can begin. That makes every single one of those types like Al Gore in 2000. Do you want to be like Al Gore? If so, more power to you, but that is stupid af. Blowing things up in this moment is beyond stupid af.

The GOP started in 1980 and it took them until 2010 to entrench unending power they’ve been murdering at a furious pace since Trump came in. The good news for them is they locked a generational Supreme Court that has been generational already since before all of us were born with kayfabe. That only changes with expansion.

The dems started their march in the late 90s, and reallllly effed up in 2006-2009 getting drunk with power and being way too fractured to align priorities. It led to where we are today. Voting works but takes a longggg time to pay dividends. 2016 messed everything up for both sides and there is no doubt 2024 is the biggest election of our lives. But it’s nowhere near as scary as 2020 was for me right now because the GOP is a bootlicking joke making every single wrong decision they can. Right now, they’re the accelerationists.

4 Likes

What the GOP also did during that time frame is let younger people into positions of power and generally not put their thumb on the scale of primaries.

1 Like

It does seem like some naive entitlement. “Oh the current system isn’t far enough left, once the fascists win then people will be so angry that we’ll get a real left wing party in the country”

No, we won’t. Not even close. Our trajectory will be more like Russia’s.

Losing the current system, flawed as it is, to Trump and MAGA just because Pelosi and Schumer supported Crowley and Cuellar over AOC and Cisneros would be a horrible outcome for every group the leftists want to help in both the short term and the long term.

3 Likes

The republicans may fracture on certain things but they’ve been laser focused on the tools to attain power and then bias the process to maintain power.

The Dems fracture before that. It’s part of the problem of being a bigger tent.

They regretted that big time. They thought they’d beat all of them. That is what is so lol about the GOP. Pelosi was correct to not let that happen, regardless of how people feel. She needed to protect the majority or to try to keep it as close as she could (massively failed in 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 obviously, but it really comes down to them effing up in 2006 and 2008 when they had the power, by trying to do too much and the voters revolting). She just waited too long to take her fingers off the scale. They needed to be off starting in 2020, but again, the voters are not where we want to be yet. Cuellar is an outstanding example of that and there are others. The right wing dems are completely wrong about results, but the voters are too edgy right now which lets these fossils still win primaries against better candidates. I think that will change a lot if we fade 2024.

9-0

1 Like

Also, Ross Perot really woke up a lot of people on the right to the folly of voting for 3rd party candidates.

1 Like

“Ultimately, the critical takeaway is that the First Amendment prohibits government officials from wielding their power selectively to punish or suppress speech,” Sotomayor added.

LOL something tells me they’re not going to hold police accountable to that standard when it comes to wielding their power selectively to punish those who criticize police.

I do think you really had to come of age in the Perot era (first Pres. election for me) to understand this. It was stupidity on 10 during that election at a very liberal college hearing people talk about him as a savior when he wrecked high school athletics in Texas in the 80s, with draconian measures to punish students who just weren’t smart enough to do anything about their grade issues. It led to rampant cheating in classrooms by teachers to keep star players on the field instead of helping them, the movie The Program portrayed what would eventually happen to many of these students.

I’m sure some recovered into good jobs and even some I know penalized became teachers and lawyers (lol), but it was a very bad policy that destroyed what would have been a district champion freshman baseball team. Our team was so bad, that it caused the best baseball coach I ever had to quit the school and go to a rival (he got promoted to JV coach the next year at that school and then was promoted to Varsity the following year, so I got to see him sophomore year as well). He was also a great Geometry teacher I was supposed to get the following year and I almost failed because I couldn’t grasp it when I didn’t get him.

The collateral damage when it was implemented was just unreal. I was very aware of Perot growing up in Texas and said he was a fraud who could not be trusted (mega right-winger). I couldn’t stand him at all but he got the furthest by far of any third party candidate. If he hadn’t kept dropping out he very well may have won.

1 Like

My post comes from being preached to a lot by my mother’s bff who is very active in local politics. She’s cool and for change. But I consider her to be a centrist Democrat very much like skydiver (wasn’t she all in on Buttigieg?) So we get into a lot of arguments

She’s a “vote blue no matter who” and “don’t let perfection be the enemy” type and I’m like we don’t have time for that, I want change NOW! I’m sick of the deception and corruption even within the Democratic party

But I concede she’s right about the importance of local elections. If we fill our school boards and state senates with progressives, it provides a solid base to build off of. Having local progressive laws and policies figures to permeate upwards imo

2 Likes

Re-pubes took over the R party from the inside. Lefties willl need to do the same. They are decades behind in being completely vilified however.

The more I’ve observed things the more convinced I am that a leftist takeover of the Democratic party is not possible because the edges of the parties are not actually comparable. There is no horseshoe.

The interests of the Republican party as an entity, including the main core of Republican politicians and donors, is primarily financial. Corporate handouts, tax cuts, etc - they serve the interests of the party elite. The far right is more concerned with bullshit culture war grievances, but that doesn’t actually conflict with the core of the party because they’ll still support the financial goals that drive their pursuit of power. The far right isn’t in conflict with the Republican party, they’re just useful idiots or vessels for the interests of the party elite. They don’t actually threaten anything, they strengthen it. There’s a reason every Republican fell in line and voted for Trump despite how they hated his rhetoric or whatever bullshit complaint they had.

The Democratic party is the opposite. The party elite have similar interests, pleasing their donors without rocking the boat too much in the process. Social changes are not threatening - centrists and leftists mostly agree on stuff like gay marriage, abortion, race relations, whatever, so that stuff gets passed - again assuming it doesn’t rock the boat. But when it comes to the actual differences in economic goals, the far left is in complete opposition to the interests of the party elite. That tension doesn’t exist in the Republican party because they agree on the most important things to the party elite, and so it will never be possible for the lefter edges of the Democratic party to take it over because they’ll be opposed the entire way by the actual power brokers and their money.

8 Likes

The problem for leftists is that too many rank-and-file Democrats also have the goal of avoiding chaos and they don’t have the patience for the long slog of re-educating people, instead preferring to yell loudly for instant gratification.

Hahahahaha. Are you serious?

1 Like

Put another way, eDems prefer order to justice

1 Like

Christine O’Donnell won a primary against a popular centrist for the senate seat vacated by Biden (which was winnable for Republicans then).

Eric Cantor was primaried when he was House Majority Leader.

I don’t recall the GOP apparatus getting involved they way the eDems do when one of their own is at risk.