The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

What we really want to know from Alito, is how he feels about glue factories.

1 Like

Also this

https://x.com/kaivanshroff/status/1761458727477977105?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

Holy shit! He hired her?

ASS LAW (yeah, Iā€™m gonna just keep calling it that) is considered a pretty shit law school, right? Lawbros?

Itā€™s honestly not terrible but youā€™re telling on yourself going there.

1 Like

Well, this probably helps explain it a bit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/10/clarence-thomas-ginni-thomas-crystal-clanton-judicial-clerkships/

She apparently lived with the Thomasā€™ for a year, and he wrote her recommendations for both law school and her previous clerkship.

"The appeals courtā€™s investigation did, however, reveal some new details about Clantonā€™s relationship with the Thomases, courtesy of a letter Thomas submitted to the court that a reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution uncovered. According to Thomas, Clanton lived with the couple ā€œfor almost a yearā€ after ā€œher controversial and public departure from Turning Point USA.ā€ His wife, Thomas wrote, ā€œinformed me of the horrible way in which she had been treatedā€ at the conservative organization.

According to the letter, Thomas wrote a law school recommendation for Clanton. He also recommended her to Pryor for the clerkship, telling the judge that the allegations in Mayerā€™s reporting were ā€œgrossly out of character and unfounded.ā€

Is this impressive? It seems impressive.

I suppose we really need the fed/state split to know for sure.

Americans that donā€™t hide the fact that theyā€™re religious bigots will be labeled as religious bigots. Checks out

Itā€™s just a factory for right wing weirdos. One of the many annoying things about the legal profession is that everyone just pretends these people must be talented to get their jobs. Nope, itā€™s just rank partisanship all the way down.

Crystal Clanton :leolol:

When you say ā€œthese peopleā€ youā€™re just talking about the RWNJ judges, right? Iā€™d bet the farm that Kaganā€™s clerks are smart AF.

Iā€™m only enough to remember in the old country when DVaut1 was peddling that notion. IIRC, it was ā€œLook, Ted Cruz was an SC clerk, he is almost a lock to be very smart and talentedā€. I kind of thought he was right at the time, but Iā€™m beginning to reconsider.

I think he is right in the sense that Ted Cruz is probably smarter than the average American by quite a bit, but thatā€™s a low bar. I also think that he is probably not near as smart as someone like KBJ or Sri Srinivasan.

Alito went to Princeton and probably Yale or Harvard law and heā€™s legitimately a fucking moron. Kavanaugh is entirely mediocre in every way. The right just has done a great job of creating an assembly line to get their policy preferences enacted while the left hasā€¦(gestures widely).

Cruz is a piece of shit, but heā€™s clearly smart - at least in the traditional sense. He graduated magna from Harvard law which means top 10% and was editor in chief of the Harvard Law Review. Iā€™m sure heā€™s an idiot in many ways, but heā€™s clearly a great test taker and would do very well on any IQ test.

As far as I know, itā€™s really only been a Clarence Thomas thing to select law clerks that arenā€™t particularly qualified to troll liberals. [NB - I havenā€™t kept up with recent SCOTUS clerks, so possible the new Rā€™s are also following the Thomas model].

Yeah, that was DVautā€™s position and Iā€™d have cosigned as recently as a few yrs ago. Iā€™m just not as sure now. I think if youā€™re savvy at navigating the system and a hard worker you can probably get into Harvard Law and get on law review. There is some intelligence required in that route, but itā€™s not IQ test intelligence.

Thereā€™s a lower cognitive burden to implement conservative ideology.

So when does she change the Cs to Ks?

If I see 179 new posts in this thread tomorrow Iā€™ll know an IQ debate broke out.

2 Likes

without knowing too much about it my guess would be that the bench is just way, way smaller for rightwing extremists, so they basically take who they can get and itā€™s a pretty mixed bag, whereas someone like sotomayor can be extremely picky and merit actually means something when you have more bodies than seats to fill.

Clanton probably takes Thomasā€™s spot on SCOTUS in Trumpā€™s next term.

2 Likes

Hmm

Guessing on a couple

Jackson-Breyer
Barrett-RBG
Kavanaugh-Kennedy
Gorsuch-Scalia
Sotomayor-Souter
Kagan-Oā€™Connor
Roberts-Rehnquist
Alito-White
Thomas-Marshall