The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Wasn’t Jennifer Rubin a completely standard centrist only recently?

Seems like public opinion on the court is really shifting in the last year or two. Given that Biden is very much a “median of the party” politician, I hope he’s internalizing that same shift.

2 Likes

Very tired of all this expanding the court talk. We have the technology now to replace them all with an AI James Madison. Stop the madness.

12 Likes

Obviously expected this outcome with student loans, but it’s somehow even more depressing than I was expecting it to be. Cost me $20k which I could really use. But glad we forgave all the republican PPP loan scammers and bailed out every bank and airline. Murica#1!!

6 Likes

He should just let AOC run his campaign.

1 Like

I keep meaning to mention this, but PPP scammers are the least of it - the vast majority of PPP loans were legitimately obtained and forgiven. The government absolutely shoveled money at businesses with incredibly little red tape/time delay. And I appreciate that, my business needed it. But people need it too, so being a-holes about student loans while backing up the money truck for businesses is just stupid. But my point is that by focusing on the scammers we ignore the structural issues with who the government helps and who it doesn’t.

Speaking of which, the amount the government is about to give my business via the Employee Retention Credit is also considerable, the total amount program-wide has to be absolutely enormous.

5 Likes

The difference between PPP and student loan forgiveness is simple: Congress didn’t explicitly authorize it. Hopefully this will cause the crowd that wants Biden to go full dictator to pump the brakes.

What did she say?

1 Like

Time to cancel it all motherfuckers!

Harping on PPP scans is falling into the rights trap. Literally who gives a fuck about the tiny amount of fraud that happened. This was a case that only government could solve with massive piles of money and they did. It’s was a resounding success.

1 Like

Portraying PPP scammers as a bunch of rich Republicans taking government money that they don’t need, don’t deserve, and didn’t really qualify for is something we should be doing to encourage the masses to feel resentment towards those who are rich and/or Republicans.

1 Like

I think Biden expected this outcome and his goal was to try to do a small enough version of student loan forgiveness that the Supreme Court would let slide. I also expected this outcome, but I would have preferred going big with the intention of provoking confrontation that moves us closer to a constitutional crisis and attempts to resolve the conflict outside of traditional politics.

This is terrible strategy given basically every citizen directly or indirectly got ppp money.

1 Like

We had the constitutional crisis in 2016 when they unilaterally changed the size of the court to 8. Nobody gave a fuck and we lost.

4 Likes

It’s not an argument that PPP is bad. It’s an argument that rich people suck.

That’s a really interesting point of view. I’m not sure if I buy it, but it might be true.

I don’t think anyone can stop me from pointing out MTG or other right wing hypocrites individually though.

But did they get it in a better/more efficient way than just giving out money? Like if all the PPP money had instead been stimulus checks spread out to everyone, my guess is that more $ would have gone to those that truly needed it vs rich people

1 Like

Gonna need some convincing that PPP wasn’t bad.

Giving money to companies so that they can give it to their employees seems way inferior to just the government directly giving the money to citizens.

Why do companies need to be a middle man here?

2 Likes

Corporations are people my friend

2 Likes

It was a technical limitation, the government doesn’t directly have information about the wages of its citizens and the unemployment program wasn’t going to be able to handle all the unemployment claims so Congress split the baby, give flat amounts of stimulus to everyone and also let companies be the middle men by applying for loans that are supposed to go to employing people then it’ll roughly be analogous to their income so PPP become a rough wage replacement program.

It’s a bad way to go about it, but it was best they could do with what they had.