The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Does the Affirmative Action ruling set the way for universities to use income instead of race, which would probably be an improvement to the current system?

But we are talking about living under Jim Crow, not current times.

This is exactly what is going to happen.

I assume the super rich people will find a way to scam that system by hiding income or something, or maybe they already do for financial aid who knows

Super rich kids go to expensive private schools so it will be hard to hide that?

Maybe

1 Like

My mom got divorced from my stepdad a year before I went to college. Helped me out soooooooo much.

lock em up

Yes. Now we are living under Harlan Crow.

7 Likes

Poor black kids’ fathers are more likely to be in jail or dead compared to poor white kids.

I got fucked because my estranged asshole dad made too much

3 Likes

Since the Civil Rights Movement the racist paternal liberal vision has been nationalized. Even this ruling is simply reifying the rearguard action that the law of the land is ‘color blindness’. Thomas’s would be vision would be that states could openly express and legislate their racism and his viewpoint is that regime would be better than the racist liberal regime, that liberals espouse and what’s hegemonic right now even in Southern states, because it’d be more ‘honest’ .

Not an expert, but it seems like you could look at home life, zip code, family, income, 1st generation college, performance of schools attended all without explicitly looking at race and still reach the same relative positions in recruiting if desired.

1 Like

This is new?

I thought of independently years ago as a super obvious workaround. Then when I dug around a bit, I learned that others had already figured it out and done it.

Gorsuch doesn’t disappoint delivering us our religious liberty against anything we can possibly imagine might infringe on it.

“Today, the Court, for the first time in its history, grants a business open to the public a constitutional right to refuse to serve members of a protected class.”

The first time, but probably not the last time.

2 Likes

First student debt case - no standing for plaintiffs. Next one due soon.

Student loan relief donezo. Roberts 6-3. Not clear what this does to limitations on payments, but clear that waiving the debt is done. I think the change in income-based payments remains, but not positive.

Edit: After skimming the opinion, I think it’s more accurate to say that the $10,000-$20,000 debt cancellation is donezo. I don’t believe that the other substantive changes go away, so student loan borrowers still benefit substantially from the changes, but don’t get the one-time cancellation.

The good die young.