The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

How conservatives and boomers view life

5 Likes

Confirmed tomorrow is the last day of the term. Should be Gorsuch delivering us our religious liberty in hypothetical disputes and JR striking down student loan forgiveness in favor of landscaping forgiveness.

1 Like

The student loan one is a pretty big political misstep, I guess they’re just planning on rigging all the elections because they’re going out of their way to alienate the electorate.

1 Like

I don’t think they gaf about elections tbh. They have a supermajority on the super legislature in this country so they can do whatever they want and face 0 consequences for a long, long time. They’re using their power the way that we wish the Ds would when they had it. Also I’m not really sure how big of a political misstep it is honestly. This shit is all gonna be way down the memory hole by the time November 2024 rolls around and the Rs are masters of ginning up bullshit wedge issues and fake outrages to drive/suppress turnout as they need to.

1 Like

Pretty fiery dissent

3 Likes

From your mouth to Gym’s cauliflowered ears

Eh, not so sure about this. This isn’t that popular, is it?

Yep. And it was even more striking in the voting rights case, where conservatives are like “we absolutely must interpret the constitution in a colorblind way”, and KBJ was like, “no you fucking idiots, the entire point of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments was to remedy the existing race-based inequities, and so obviously will have race-based consequences.”

Basically this.

For decades, conservative justices have made a specific point to support many of their rulings on race: They insist that the Constitution is entirely “colorblind,” prohibiting any consideration of race under all circumstances. During oral arguments in Merrill v. Milligan on Tuesday, a case they will attempt to use to eradicate what remains of the Voting Rights Act, they advanced this theory once again. This time, however, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson refused to cede ground to their revisionist history. In a series of extraordinary exchanges with Alabama Solicitor General Edmund LaCour, Jackson explained that the entire point of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments was to provide equal opportunity for formerly enslaved people, using color-conscious remedies whenever necessary to put them on the same plane as whites. It was a masterclass in progressive originalism that illustrated exactly why Jackson is such a crucial addition to this ultra-conservative court.

4 Likes

I do not have the slightest idea how popular it is per se, but I would imagine that there is a large overlap between people who have a lot of debt and those who vote. But that is also a guess. In any event, it lets Joe off the hook and places the blame squarely on the R’s for the forgiveness not getting done, so even in losing that is a win for him on some level.

That ship sailed ages ago, they’ve won the popular vote like once since the 80’s? They’re pot-committed to minoritarian rule, there’s a reason they’re floating the idea of raising the minimum voting age.

1 Like

I mean this is where “fuck your feelings” is real. I know he’s been on this liberal paternal hypocrisy thing for a while, but to me it doesn’t make sense, even on its own terms. Like his supposed clear line is that liberals are still racist, racism is deeply rooted in America, and it’s better to have the honest hatred of bigots than the paternalistic bigotry of liberals, and I can’t help but think…but is it?

Was living with Northern WASP bigotry better than living as a slave in the South? Was living with Northern bigotry better than living in Jim Crow? Is getting a sneering pat on the head better at Yale with its billions of dollars at your disposal better than an honest degree from a historically black college that scrapping by?

It’s a personal question so the answer will very from person to person, but to my mind, in the aggregate, the answer overall is clearly that honesty doesn’t seem like the best value to be selecting for. It doesn’t even make sense that he says under Jim Crow blacks were able to carve out an economically separate space for self sufficiency. Even that was ultimately at the whim of the racist state governments, and it obviously wasn’t devoid of the daily humiliation that could be inflicted at any moment, so I don’t see how you can’t say African Americans could also eek out an existence in a paternalistic liberal racist society as well and I would think that it’d be one that would overall be better.

I guess I get annoyed at it because it’s so clearly a political message. It has nothing to do with the legal field at all. It’s exactly what conservatives say liberal justices are doing, going with their feelings.

I think ultimately it’s a nice just so story to justify his alliance with conservatives and as a way to reconcile his conservative nature with conservativism in America but it still doesn’t mean it makes sense

1 Like

Oh, missed this earlier. The majority opinion carves out military academies:

KBJ has thoughts:

1 Like

The college admissions people are woke trans pedophiles.

1 Like

Although this is excellent in aggregate, the statement “No one benefits from ignorance” strikes me as wrong. We are living in the Misinformation Age in large part because some people benefit tremendously from weaponized ignorance.

3 Likes

I’m sure this was discussed and a dumb question but how is it that abortion is ok to ban but like trans surgery isn’t?

The epicenter of black entrepreneurship isn’t in the liberal north. It’s Atlanta.

And student loan debt, for the educated class, is like tax burden for the wealthy: it’s the only issue they truly care about.

Wouldn’t that be Chicago?

Banning abortion protects the rights of a fetus but banning trans surgeries (or really any elective surgery) would infringe on a person’s bodily autonomy. Much easier to sell the idea that a clump of dividing cells is just as human as the fully grown woman it resides in so it has all the rights of a living person, I guess.

Every city on the list in the South.