The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1600528692400181249

https://twitter.com/stevenmazie/status/1600530772565295106

Good threads to follow.

1 Like

My guess is that SCOTUS clamps down on the derps here. Ruling the way the magas want would mean limiting the power of the judiciary in general which I don’t think they’re in a hurry to do. 7-2 ruling, alito and thomas dissenting.

1 Like

Gorsuch is 100% voting with Alito and Thomas here. I’m not sure which way the other 3 will go, although Rapenaugh has come out in favor of the independent state legislature theory in the past. It wouldn’t surprise me if they landed on a 6-3 “gerrymander to your heart’s content, but all other election laws are reviewable by state courts” with Gorsuch, Thomas, and Alito writing a concurrence that agreed with the decision but argued they should go even further.

Not gonna get the full derp ruling I don’t think, but going to get something that will be highly unhelpful for ‘24

I did some more reading on this and it sounds like it’s gonna be some mega :harold: shit. From what i read it sounds like people think they’re going to give themselves the power to overrule “egregious” or “outrageous” state supreme court decisions. What’s going to constitute something that meets that criteria? Presumably like the “major questions doctrine” that is “whatever raises John Roberts’ eyebrow” it’s going to be “when a liberal court makes a decision we don’t like we strike it down”.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1600912186376826880

1 Like

Yeah well they’ll rue the day in few generations when liberals finally wrest control of the Supreme Court!

https://twitter.com/mcbyrne/status/1601607927395241992

Clownshow SC

1 Like

I heard there’s a good reason they call him “Peter” Davidson.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1601816650487152641?s=20&t=_yMRNbpXaV50zxPu4kfivw

I don’t see Dinesh on the list he must be the designated survivor for the ghoul council

2 Likes

Highly underappreciated post.

1 Like

Lemley is something of a “star” law prof. Here’s his recent essay in the Harvard Law Review, “The Imperial Supreme Court”.

My goal in this essay is not to criticize these decisions on the merits, though there is much to criticize; lots of others will do that. Nor do I aim simply to make the legal realist point that the Justices will do what they want in the cases before them, though the last few Terms provide ample evidence for that claim too. Rather, my argument is that the Court has begun to implement the policy preferences of its conservative majority in a new and troubling way: by simultaneously stripping power from every political entity except the Supreme Court itself. The Court of late gets its way, not by giving power to an entity whose political predilections are aligned with the Justices’ own, but by undercutting the ability of any entity to do something the Justices don’t like. We are in the era of the imperial Supreme Court.

In Part I, I show that the Court has not been favoring one branch of government over another, or favoring states over the federal government, or the rights of people over governments. Rather, it is withdrawing power from all of them at once. In Part II, I show that this result cannot be explained by any consistent judicial philosophy. The Court is happy to embrace conflicting philosophies to achieve the ends it wants in the case before it. In Part III, I suggest that the imperial Supreme Court is something new and dangerous and that we must consider more radical options to protect the American form of government.

None of this is to say that textualism, originalism, and fidelity to precedent aren’t playing a role in modern Court opinions. But they are tools the Justices deploy to achieve particular results those Justices have already decided they want to reach; they can’t explain those results because they aren’t used consistently.

2 Likes

1 Like

Well it’s interesting from a tactics point of view. Consolidating so much power into one organization is a high risk / high reward move and you’d do it if you were sure you could limit the downside. With the federalist society working in concert with the Republican Party there’s very little risk of Republicans losing their conservative majority in our lifetimes so why not consolidate as much power into something that you have little chance of ever losing.

The only weakness is if they ever get a D President who realizes they can just ignore the rulings. Other than that they’re golden assuming they don’t lose their majority in the next 2 years.

ETA: Even if they do a D majority on the court will play it straight and not turn themselves into a super legislature like the Rs have.

I don’t necessarily think the Court’s new majority is doing this intentionally, aggregating power for its own sake. A more plausible explanation is that a newfound conservative majority is simply doing whatever it wants in the cases before it, consistent with a particularly strong form of the legal realist idea that judges just implement their own policy preferences. 106 × 106. A full analysis of legal realism would be a book in its own right. For a few of the major sources, see AMERICAN LEGAL REALISM (William W. Fisher III et al. eds., 1993); O.W. Holmes, The Path of the Law , 10 HARV. L. REV. 457 (1897); Karl N. Llewellyn, Some Realism About Realism — Responding to Dean Pound , 44 HARV. L. REV. 1222 (1931).Show More On that theory, perhaps the restrictions it has imposed on the power of Congress, administrative agencies, lower courts, and the states are simply byproducts of its desire to rewrite the law on the merits. In other words, the imperial Supreme Court may result not from a desire to take power away from other branches of government but from a desire to do what the Court wants and to prune back what it views as obstacles to that goal. Congress or the states are passing laws you don’t like? Restrict their power to do so. Administrative agencies are tackling climate change? Create new obstacles to their doing so. Cases aren’t making their way through the courts fast enough, or are being mooted by events? Reach out and take them anyway.

I mean this is true, but but who gets to decide what in the resulting situation is important and it’d be silly to think that the justices don’t think about ‘what if liberals get to control the fulcrums of power’ as part of their ‘conservative’ reasoning.

More Calvinball.

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/1604958311836680192?s=20&t=46jZyljUeG0EOnZyKd3vfg

Even the downsides assuming Republicans lose the court are negligible.

In their eyes, they’re just asserting authority they are arguing it always has had—the other side could just as easily do the same (they wouldn’t because lol Dems, but still). I guess Dems are more likely to do it if Republicans do it first, but there’s no guarantee they wouldn’t do it anyways.

More fundamentally, the court’s power is mainly to alter the actions of other branches of government. It’s not something that changes on a dime, and they know the first thing a Dem court would have to do is spend years and years undoing the work of a Republican court.

It’s probably low risk-high reward to seize as much power as possible and enact fringe conservative shit across all levels and branches of government. Good luck walking all this back, libs! Let alone actually pursuing any of your own goals.

1 Like

SCOTUS just straight up running the country at this point. Potus is a puppet.