The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

I still say any time Ken Paxton’s name appears in print they should state he’s been under indictment for felony securities fraud since 2015.

Paxton’s trial has been delayed multiple times[155][156] over side issues, such as the venue where the trial will take place and the amount of the special prosecutors’ fees.

And then the next several paragraphs on Wikipedia detail the extraordinary delays caused by changes of venue etc. Trump really should hire whoever has dragged the case out for so long.

Start a VPN? Internet Free Texas™

When you put it that way, any chance of making it a federal law?

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1571224046775181312?s=20&t=4mEwn__QxXowakJEXND-qg

Yup, grifting morons pays WAYYYYYYYYY more than being a high school teacher. He is absolutely never going back

1 Like

Need an update on Joe the Plumber

Choosing between burning out teaching or grifting rubes for a living is no choice at all.

Man, just perpetual motion machine of conservative victimhood.

In the end, it all was too complicated. The effect of the court’s order is that Bremerton has to reinstate someone who didn’t apply for the job then and doesn’t appear eager for it now. It’s as if the justices wanted to script an ending for a Christian redemption movie. But real life isn’t cooperating.

1 Like

I assume they can fire him now for cause?

1 Like

No, they have to rehire him before they can fire him again.

1 Like

Well, he isn’t showing up to be rehired to do the job. That doesn’t count for anything?

It means he doesn’t work for them. Mission accomplished.

Maybe.

Can he show up next month and say, “SC said you have to give me job back, I’m here to get started.” And then they have to give him the job back?

3 Likes

I read something about this case where it said the assistant coach salary for the season was about $5K. He probably makes that with a couple appearance fees to show up for a chintzy Christian “warrior” award and a few remarks about God, Football and Q.

ETA: It’s about the kids

definitely joe the plumber reincarnated for cable news

“Place a PR/Publicity Request,” invites his personal website, where he’s known as Coach Joe.

i clicked on the article to figure out if the guy is even a teacher. it doesn’t say that he was. so, just a part-time employee. but the later part of the article is even more crazy. like alito had to be fucking corrected by the defense, even though it’s a fucking slam dunk that he is basically going decide this as a completely made up reality.

It’s an increasingly surreal situation for the Bremerton schools. They were ordered to “reinstate Coach Kennedy to a football coaching position,” according to court documents. But the now-famous coach is out on the conservative celebrity circuit, continuing to tell a story about “the prayer that got me fired” — even though Bremerton never actually fired him.

In 2015, he was put on paid leave near the end of the season after holding a series of prayer sessions on the field with students and state legislators. He still got paid for his full assistant coach contract, about $5,000. High school assistants often work on yearly deals, and Kennedy, at odds with the head coach and aggrieved by what had happened, never reapplied to work the 2016 season.

“He was not terminated,” Bevers said. The head coach at the time had moved on, as did most of the coaching staff.

This did not stop Kennedy’s lawyers from telling the Supreme Court repeatedly that he was fired.

“The record is clear that Coach Kennedy was fired for that midfield prayer,” lawyer Paul Clement told the nine justices in the first 15 seconds of the oral arguments of the case in April. The words “fired,” “fire” or “firing” were used 16 times in the hour and a half session.

It wasn’t true though. The district’s lawyers tried to correct the record, to no avail.

“You can’t sue them for failing to rehire you if you didn’t apply,” one lawyer, Mercer Island’s Michael Tierney, argued during a lower court session. “The District didn’t get an application from him, had four positions to fill and filled them with people who had applied. It didn’t fail to rehire him.”

The Supreme Court simply ignored this inconvenient fact — along with a host of others. At one point during oral arguments, as a different school district attorney was saying the narrative that had been spun didn’t fit with the facts — that the coach’s prayers were neither silent nor solitary, nor was he fired — Justice Samuel Alito interrupted him, saying “I know that you want to make this very complicated.”

Alito persisted in asking about the coach being fired — six times he said it, to the point that the lawyer finally corrected him. Which is a touchy thing to do with a Supreme Court justice.

“It’s not a question of firing, and in fact, he was put on paid leave,” the lawyer pleaded, fruitlessly, to Alito.

The thing is anyone who has ever played high school football in the South would immediately recognize those photos.

I legit learned The Lord’s Prayer from repetition during high school footbaw pregame rituals. I don’t recall any post game prayers, but that may be because we had a tradition of singing the school song to our fans.

lol same re: Lord’s Prayer

1 Like

Ruba dub dub thanks for the grub.

Pretty easy to remember.

1 Like