The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

i believe they can start nominating process before official date also

If thatā€™s the case I feel much better about it. I just googled scotus terms and saw it was October-October.

Iā€™m on team ā€œBiden does not get a candidate nominated and confirmedā€, but itā€™s probably just an emotional hedge.

He promised to nominate a woman of color. Odds on favorite is Ketanji Brown.

also, didnā€™t she just get confirmed to DC circuit in the last year? so presumably all those senators that votes yes, arenā€™t going to turn on their heel. or biden is going to call them a stupid son of a bitch or somethingā€¦

Literally the only way this happens is if a D senator in an R-governed state dies in a way thatā€™s public enough to prevent him from being Weekend at Bernieā€™sā€™ed through the confirmation vote.

1 Like

I hope Manchin is okay with that.

1 Like

I donā€™t know man Iā€™m not putting it past Cinema to to the DMX suck it motion on the floor of the senate as she votes no.

6 Likes

He voted yes to confirm her to the Circuit Court, so Iā€™m going with yes, yes heā€™s ok with that. I mean this is a nothingburger anyway, the court is conservatively locked for a generation.

1 Like

She is 51 by the way, so a little long in the tooth for the Republican side, but I guess better then alternatives.

1 Like

Well letā€™s hope a literal crazy person doesnā€™t behave inconsistently.

FWIW, the importance is that Chuck Schumer is the majority leader so it comes up for a vote. If he nominates Jackson this isnā€™t going to be a 50-50 vote with Harris breaking the tie. Iā€™d bet we peel off Murkowski and Collins as well so they can brush up on their ā€œbipartisanā€ bona fides on a vote that is meaningless anyway. If, however, a D senator croaks, then yeah, its never coming up for a vote.

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Sometimes the winning move is not to play the game.

5 Likes

This might become one of the greatest fuckups in US history.

Agreed. As long as Biden doesnā€™t nominate someone seen as from the Bernie wing of the party, and as long as thereā€™s a vote, some republicans probably are on board.

This doesnā€™t change the partisan make up of the court in any way. While Iā€™m sure Mitch would love to have a 7-2 instead of 6-3 court, heā€™s got what he needs. Most of the republicans donā€™t give a fuck about gun laws or Roe V Wade anyways, theyā€™re just wedge issues. What they want the court for is a backstop to strike down any progressive legislation that might get through. Heā€™s got that for the foreseeable future.

be8f63b5f858ff88c80d04ceae886de6

10 Likes

oh i see, itā€™s a remake of this movie but they cast two women senators instead.

Thanks for changing the title. Sadly reading thread titles is the main way I get news.

3 Likes

Apparently California Supreme Court Justice Leonore Kruger is another favorite. Sheā€™s only 45, so I guess I hope itā€™s her. They really should just appoint like a 25 year old.