The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

A 9-0 court is way different than a 7-2, 6-3, etc. The further right the court is going to get the worse off life is going to be and it can get a lot worse before it breaks.

1 Like

How much of Thomasā€™ writing have you read?

Yeah, my understand is itā€™s way off base to call Thomas a particularly bad writer.

Heā€™s a horrible person, but not a particularly bad writer. I believe Alito is thought to be the worst writer.

Heā€™s a particularly good writer when you consider that English is his second language.

This sentence is true even before knowing what the last word is.

6 Likes

Typically they announce their retirements at the end of the term, so youā€™re looking at mid-late June.

Does Biden have 50 Supreme Court votes?

No

Biden doesnā€™t even have 50 votes for ice cream.

11 Likes

He does until January 2023. Then he does not. The nominee will need to be center-left, though.

Iā€™m more worried about who Biden will pick than I am about getting it confirmed, but I also donā€™t trust Breyer to retire in time so it may all be moot.

I have a funny feeling Biden is going to pick Garland as a sort of ā€œgotchaā€ to the GOP, which will make Mitch McConnell laugh hysterically in smokey back rooms with expensive bourbon toasts.

No toppings though, we donā€™t want to inflate the price!

1 Like

Toppings are ok if thereā€™s a work requirement.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great, letā€™s get Garland out of the AG spot before he offers to defend Trump in any legal proceedings against him or something.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Breyer will retire. His comments about this seemed to have a vibe like ā€œthe more people push me on this the more I am going to dig inā€. Similar to Manchin. The country is run by spoiled toddlers.

1 Like

Also ice-cream and toppings will have to be paid for by cuts to social programmes. #nodeficit

Didnā€™t Biden explicitly promise to nominate a black woman if thereā€™s an opening? From what I remember Ketanji Brown Jackson was viewed as the most likely choice, especially now that sheā€™ll have a year of experience on the DC Circuit if/when the time comes.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Well thatā€™s good. I donā€™t know much about her but sheā€™s 51, so thereā€™s that.

She has to be better than Garland, right?
ā€¦
Right?

1 Like

Itā€™s just not the same without Anakin and Padme.

2 Likes

Some wild shit in here.

Clarence Thomas met Ginni Lamp, in 1986, he was an ambitious Black conservative in charge of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commissionā€”and she was even more conservative and better connected than he was. Her father ran a firm that developed housing in and around Omaha, and her parents were Party activists who had formed the backbone of Barry Goldwaterā€™s campaign in Nebraska. The writer Kurt Andersen, who grew up across the street from the family, recalls, ā€œHer parents were the roots of the modern, crazy Republican Party. My parents were Goldwater Republicans, but even they thought the Lamp family was nuts.ā€ Ginni graduated from Creighton University, in Omaha, and then attended law school there. Her parents helped get her a job with a local Republican candidate for Congress, and when he won she followed him to Washington. But, after reportedly flunking the bar exam, she fell in with a cultish self-help group, Lifespring, whose members were encouraged to strip naked and mock one anotherā€™s body fat.

Legit insane

The White House meeting was held in the Roosevelt Room, and by all accounts it was uncomfortable. Thomas opened by saying that she didnā€™t trust everyone in the room, then pressed Trump to purge his Administration of disloyal members of the ā€œdeep state,ā€ handing him an enemies list that she and Groundswell had compiled. Some of the participants prayed, warning that gay marriage, which the Supreme Court legalized in 2015, was undermining morals in America.

One participant told me heā€™d heard that Trump had wanted to humor Ginni Thomas because he was hoping to talk her husband into retiring, thus opening up another Court seat. Trump, given his manifold legal problems, also saw Justice Thomas as a potentially important allyā€”and genuinely liked him. But the participant told me that the President considered Ginni Thomas ā€œa wacko,ā€ adding, ā€œShe never would have been there if not for Clarence. She had access because her last name was Thomas.ā€

2 Likes

Tbf, several of the ā€œbetterā€ sororities did the whole naked fat shaming thing, too, when I was in college.