The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Absolutely - it’s a completely shitty argument. When one of the justices (Kavanaugh?) responded with “well, does that mean we shouldn’t have overturned Plessy v. Ferguson?” he was right - bad cases should be overturned!

1 Like

It true, but it’s also one of the things that gives judges cover to not be compared to legislators. If, as a judge, as soon as you get into power you start overthrowing the previous judge’s rulings at what point are you different from a legislator that comes into power and starts passing laws they likes?

“But it’s stare decisis” has to have at least some rhetorical weight for the judiciary to have some difference from the legislature.

I’m meaning this in a theoretical sense. In the practical sense conservatives were complaining about activist judges until they got into power and are going willy nilly over precedent all they want.

1 Like

Going to be a lot of faces being eaten when poor conservatives in anti choice states suddenly realize that they also cannot get an abortion.

“But I thought it was only going to affect the poor black people!”

Not a problem - there’s always a horse paste for that.

1 Like

He doesn’t care because he can’t see it. In his mind he’s the one who’s responsible for the court holding it together (at least to this point).

It can be selectively prosecuted and enforced it that becomes a problem.

Also travel is relatively affordable for them

Everyone bitching about dems and shitlibs or whatever, but this is the real issue. If Americans aren’t concerned for abortion rights and are willing to let Mississippi and rural states get away with it that’s on America. Just as Trump is.

My hope is that this is a dog finally caught the car issue and republicans will regret it, but maybe not.

Zero chance they regret it.

Dems are good at things like protest which in todays climate is a near useless political lever. They suck at the real work of politics.

You can only blame the voters so much when the senate is wildly undemocratic by design. Having said that, 60 Dem senators would have absolutely changed the SCOTUS makeup dramatically.

i’d say it should be getting very uncomfortable, if not impossible, to head into a dem primary without coming out for green new deal, m4a, prochoice legislation or amendment, and reforming scotus. it certainly doesn’t feel like progress enough, but this just wasn’t true at the same point in 2016 cycle. maybe even 2014. not sure, i didn’t pay as much attention

We blame the voters to voting in shitlibs over progressive. They deserve 100% of the blame for their primary choices

Pretty sure even the shitlibs would have avoided blocking all of Obama’s SCOTUS picks. I mean, maybe if we had 10 Manchins in the Senate.

Elected Republicans might regret losing their biggest vote driver but I’m sure they’ll just pivot to some other red meat hot button topic like voter ID to keep their base riled up.

This type of lawbro post where they treat a judge saying like “Mr Kavanaugh, I find your reasoning here to be specious in some instances” or something like it’s Nas - Ether is the most nauseating genre of post on the entire internet.

1 Like

It’s school boards and critical race theory. That’s going to be with us for a very long time.

1 Like

I’ve said it before, but Republicans have already won total victory on guns, and it’s still a hot button issue for them. They’ll be riding “DEFEND LIFE” as an election issue for as long as they bother letting us have elections.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1466182575312015361?s=21

Lol

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/irin/status/1466129271336976395?s=21

1 Like

Murder, obviously.