The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

He is a great jurist. I take his side vs Scalia on the question of balancing tests vs bright line rules.

From what I’ve read, he’s not ignoring the need for a Democrat to nominate his replacement but he’s not going to lock it in right now. I don’t see a reason to press him to resign now vs next summer and I’d give him more leash if I predict Dems to pick up Senate seats so that there’s not a constraint of finding someone who Manchin doesn’t think is too liberal.

What could go wrong?

3 Likes

8 Likes

Manchin has rubber stamped all of the circuit judges so far. Sooooooo yeah. But ultimately the court is gone forever unless we add more seats or start ignoring rulings so Breyer can do whatever he wants, it doesn’t matter very much.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Story about the lawyer behind the crazy Texas abortion law.

Craziest part, to me:

Despite his Supreme Court clerkship and having held jobs with the state of Texas and the Justice Department and in academia, he had struggled to find a consistent paying job in the years after he was replaced as solicitor general in Texas.

How much of a lunatic do you have to be to struggle getting work after clerking for Scalia?

1 Like

In Texas.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1437792526518390793?s=21

3 Likes

Lol this guy is a fucking joke

2 Likes

You could say it was motivated by ideology rather than partisanship.

Worse - in the NPR interview he explicitly says it’s not ideology either.

1 Like

Is this guy just really fuckin dumb?

1 Like

Lol the Supreme Court repeatedly released emergency injunctions against laws that limited church gatherings in part reinterpretating a law that they never wrote out in an opinion but still wrote snippy sentences in their injunctions chastising the governors for not obeying the new rule that they never wrote but somehow got perplexed by a novel new law that was obviously, I mean so plainly obviously designed to fall through an obvious loophole, but they’re not partisans, theyre philosopher kings out here just pondering the law.

1 Like

He lives in a bubble. That can be functionally identical to being dumb.

Republicans have done an A+ job of simply personally being nice to boomer Democrats who then believe they could never actually be bad people.

1 Like

Really stop and try to imagine buying Breyer’s book to read for pleasure. It can’t be done. The brain rebels. It’s a similar vertigo to trying to imagine your own death.

1 Like

The supreme court has like 55% approval ratings among dems, I imagine there are a ton of shitlibs who would buy the book and agree with Breyer because they’re the adults in the room and above all the partisan bickering.

The SCOTUS has built up so much legitimacy over its history (perhaps unfairly) that it’s going to take a very long time for normal people to wake up and realize it’s become 100% political football.

I’d do it.

Perhaps unfairly? They rigged the 2000 election with disastrous consequences, anyone paying even a little attention has been aware of the program for 21 years.