The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

Well, let us know if/when they try to get you to discourage transplants.

We actually have good bye parties celebrating when people get transplants. Us encouraging or discouraging that has very little to do with if people can actually get one

We have a 14 year old kid with Alport’s Syndrome. He’s the only one I know is even on a transplant list that has a realistic shot of getting one.

1 Like

If I understood Dan correctly, it sounded like people would get a match on the list and the dialysis center would encourage them to turn it down and just keep coming in for dialysis. I’m having a real hard time believing that worked on anyone.

John Oliver segment probably.

Two years ago:

I can’t find what I saw many years ago in particular but it was definitively along these lines.

Surf captured it best. Today’s status is in response to complaints of the past. It is still accurate today that outcomes are not as good in the for profits. Basically it’s business-ification of medicine as opposed to medicine for medicines sake.

My ex is a veterinary technician and she had a friend that was a dental tech. Some of the profit motive shenanigans in each field was shocking to hear.

My dad is on a transplant list (he was on two, but one removed him) and yeah, he knows he’s probably only getting a kidney from a living donor. He hasn’t gotten to dialysis yet - his numbers actually improved last year, hopefully extending his “no dialysis” window.

He even jumped through a million hoops to work with some orthodox Jewish group in NYC that matches patients with living donors. He had to fly out there and visit their approved doctors, do tests, etc. Required a really long application, essays, and even a letter of recommendation from a rabbi or community leader. What’s nuts is that if somehow it works out (it won’t), he’d have to stay in NYC for months or some shit after the surgery. I told him that if it came to that, once he’s recovered make some excuse to fly back home and then just stay there. What are they going to do, take his kidney away?

We’re hoping my brother can donate a kidney. My dad wouldn’t let either of us do it, but my brother forced his hand by saying he was going to donate a kidney to SOMEONE, even if it’s not him. He’s done a bunch of tests, but hasn’t found out yet if it’s a go.

6 Likes

Also UC-San Francisco is working on an artificial kidney. They’ve had a successful test of a prototype, but are still a long ways off from a finished product. Haven’t started human testing yet. I donated some money a while back. Hopefully this will pan out some day.

I have a good friend whose husband had a transplant that was failing after a few years.

It turns out his best friend was a stellar match. It’s been a minute but last I heard it was going very well with kidney #2. Much better than the first one.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how we’re always on the verge of living in a scientific utopia and also a modern hellscape.

7 Likes

That’s why there are so many sci-fi stories with an elite and technical society living the good life “above” off the labor of the poors and backwards “lower” society. (Elysium, the time machine…)

Coming to America

https://twitter.com/astroehlein/status/1539512486847815681?s=21&t=svWqko6LKN7QyHTjM7gAfA

https://twitter.com/astroehlein/status/1539581097310314497?s=21&t=svWqko6LKN7QyHTjM7gAfA

Arcane

Probably getting Dobbs and/or New York Rifle today, so all hell is going to break loose.

Seems unlikely. It’s not the last opinion day of the year and they’re a bunch of drama queens, so probably next Monday/Wednesday for them. Anything is possible I suppose but I think if we get juicy ones they’re more likely to be West Virginia v EPA or Biden v Texas. Other than that they’re just going to clear the decks of cases nobody gives a shit about to prep for the main event. Alito is probably trying to push for reading Dobbs from the bench like the old days with the notorious ACB dressed up in a handmaid’s costume next to him.

1 Like

I didn’t realize they’re announcing opinions tomorrow too. Going to revise my estimate of likeliness to “maybe” on the big 2 now. I didn’t realize they were sprinting this hard to the finish. I assume it still stretches into next week though and that’s the most likely time for Dobbs and to a lesser extent NY Rifle.

I hope they delay it as long as possible as it’s just more time women can get healthcare they need.

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1539977165269254146?s=21&t=pWiMOLWpsYW8CNcM97u4Ng