The Supreme Court: RIP Literally Everything

You were begging me to do a bet a month ago you would now be drawing dead on.

IDK. For us to still be in the woods there need to be an offramp/heir apparent. Think of “people really popular with Trump”, who could lead them when he’s gone/be an actual political figure capable of campaigning? …Rogan? That’s all I got, and he’s like 5’6". Carlson a year ago maybe now no chance.

I’ll feel 1000% better than I do now that’s for sure

1 Like

Yes, clearly without Trump, MAGA will no longer have sway over the Republican Party, people like the House Freedom Caucus will never influence policy again, and right-wingers will never commit acts of stochastic domestic terrorism.

What in gods name are you hallucinating?

2 Likes

Glad I didn’t make that bet. Still happy to bet on actual consequences though. That is still close to drawing dead.

Turns out he wasn’t really hallucinating, was he?

1 Like

Well we were taking about consequences not trials but he was right I had forgotten that discussion. My bad.

That said, this trial is making it even more clear he is never ever facing any actual consequences. Not to mention this weeks SCOTUS bullshit.

sigh, just for the record. What is an “actual consequence?”

Yesterday you listed being made of fun of on late night tv as real consequence for Trump’s list of crimes, which include an insurrection. We simply don’t live in the same world on this issue so there isn’t much value in further discussion. We will just have to agree to disagree. Cheers.

3 Likes

Going to jail for crimes

Being unable to run for president for said crimes

4 Likes

I would add losing the majority or all of his money/assets as acceptable to me. Pretty much anything that materially and permanently changes the lives of the Trumps.

Things that aren’t meaningful include missing Barron’s graduation, sleeping in court, getting made fun of on Jimmy Fallon and racking up fines and legal fees that he is never made to pay.

It really isn’t that complicated. Consequences are things that actually hurt for Trump. On a permanent level. Considering the guy tried to overthrow the government and several hundred other crimes is that really so crazy to want/expect?

13 Likes

We had that consequences. And then for reasons unknown the judgement went from 450 to 150 to 0

So we know the asset seizing is never happening.

5 Likes

Well ya. I posted that from the beginning when people were posting about Trump Tower and the plane being seized “easily”. I’m firmly in the no meaningful consequences will be had based on the definition I listed above. I hope I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Also to attack this from a different angle is there another historical example of a political leader staging a coup, failing, and then facing no serious consequence? And not only that but growing more and more wealthy on the back of it and then running again while basically openly admitting to the coup on the campaign trail?

If that is so normal and the people that think it isn’t are crazed lunatics lets hear some historical examples. I think im most countries what Trump did would result in him being jailed and/or executed.

I will openly admit I’m not a huge history buff though and it’s possible this type of thing is more normal than I’m aware of. I just can’t think of one.

Problem with looking for historical analogues of January 6 is that no other country really has had the same type of stupid LARPing hillbilly coup. Nowhere near everybody even thinks it was a coup, I’d guess that only a tiny portion of the US population would call it that. So comparing it to times when folks got executed for taking the actual military and assuming power through force and getting executed isn’t really the same.

But lol of course there won’t be consequences and this nonsense will continue until he’s dead and then we’ll gin up someone even dumber and shittier to ruin our lives afterwards.

Ya i kinda thought about that too. Just because Trump is bad at coups(just like everything else) doesn’t absolve him though. I don’t think you are saying that really. But if he was competent at coups he likely succeeds and then obviously no consequences. Kind of by definition the coup failures are the ones punished.

Trump’s coup was a half assed attempt with a tiny amount of deniability. Enough for the rubes and his hand picked judges which unfortunately seems to be enough.

1 Like

Hitler?

2 Likes

He did go to jail but yeah he’s the obvious