THE Super Tuesday Mega-Gameday Sweat

Again, there are competing factors that are hard to measure. That’s how things get to be non-obvious.

I think we should run up the score in blue states only because Trump’s butthurt when he finds out he’s the first Pres in US history to lose the popular vote twice will be hilarious. It will be nice to have something to laugh about on my way to the camp.

4 Likes

ah, cool. That’s what I was wondering about. I’m also going to work on getting my passport now that this campaign craziness is over for a while.

It took me less than 20 minutes to get a SIN at a Service Canada office. All I needed was my citizenship certificate.

1 Like

This was true 6 weeks ago, it’s true today, and I’m going to continue reposting it wherever appropriate until this forum acknowledges that Bernie is responsible for his own failures:

Also if Warren had dropped out, and 100% of her supporters went to Bernie, he would’ve only cracked 50% in Vermont (where he cracked 50% anyway), Colorado, and possibly Utah. The US electorate overwhelmingly chose Biden yesterday. The movement! theory never came true because it was never a thing outside of bubble isolated online communities. I’m sorry that your antidemocratic fantasy of a split centrist vote and delegates lost due to threshold limits didn’t come true either.

4 Likes

American voters are as responsible for Bernie’s failure as they are for Trump’s success. It’s not anti-democratic to say voters make bad choices.

1 Like

White Americans moving to Canada will get a first small taste of what it’s like to be an undesirable “other.” American has a negative connotation in most parts of the country.

I have two theories.

Financialization, and the gold standard is probably related, changed the way large corporations are funded and their incentives in a way that put more pressure on wages and less concerned with long term results. It increased borrowing and the relative importance of stock prices and put CEOs with those specialties in charge.

The other theory is that “productivity” is a bit of BS. It is something like GDP per hour worked and the rise of bullshit middle management administrative consulting jobs are being counted as productivity when they really aren’t. Insofar as that’s true, productivity didn’t necessarily keep going up and leaving wages so lonely on the famous graph.

Another possibility is the late stage capitalism thing. Efficiencies are so high that there’s a big diminishing return on labor and it’s become worth less, but there’s no real incentive to have people work fewer hours when they can be paid less and still survive.

Although if you open conversations with, “I’m here because I’m fleeing Trump” that should go a long way.

It is when that sentiment crosses into strategizing how to get your candidate elected anyway when voters clearly signal their preference for someone else, and blaming other candidates for not going along with the plan, denying your candidate the very narrow circumstances required to steal a victory.

1 Like

Symbolically, if it matters, to push the dems to the left it is probably better for progressives to show there anger by not running up the vote this time.

Warren has a plan for that.

If you get mad about a candidate dropping out to help the chances of another you must be furious now.

Do you hold the anti-democratic position that Bernie shouldn’t run as an independent so as not to split the Dem vote?

1 Like

Productivity is the fundamental basis of economic growth. How the fruits of productivity growth are distributed is a political/legal question.

Productivity is a messy economic term, not a fundamental physical property. And on top of fuzzy definition and difficulty of measurement the point is really about how meaningful it is and whether or not that’s changed. Certainly not all productivity is equal in terms of improving people’s lives.

In Montreal they’ll just assume I’m from Ontario and hate me for that instead.

I mean I’m no market fundamentalist, and plenty of econ is bs, where the exceptions swallow the rules, but productivity is a among like the 5-10 core ideas of economics and deeply embedded in its broader theoretical structures. It’s not a physical property, but I doubt you could have much economics without it.

Anyway something dramatic happened between like 1973-1975 and productivity involved. Perhaps the way GDP is measured or something else that’s used to calculate productivity needs to be reconsidered. Or maybe not. It’s just a theory, but I think at least it’s not obviously false.

Math joke

The professor was just wrapping up a very long proof. All the chalk boards (they don’t have these anymore do they?) were full. She gets to the end and says “and so obviously A is true”. Then she pauses and thinks and starts scribbling in a notebook furiously for twenty minutes while the class waits. After twenty long minutes she looks up and exclaims “yes! It is obvious!”

2 Likes

For sure you will get that reaction some but more commonly will be some variation of “why is your country so fucked!” This is especially true of healthcare as nearly all Canadians (myself included) view the American idea of healthcare as clinical insanity.